MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Phonics game of the week for 3-6 year olds 
MES-Fanatic!

Post Phonics game of the week for 3-6 year olds
i call it "fish for fish"

materials- small phonics cards that have the alphabet letters and a picture associated with that letter (for Ff you need to have a fish), paper clips, magnetic fishing rod (can be bought cheaply from a 100yen shop).

what to do- put the paperclips onto all the cards. turn the cards upside down so the kids dont know whats what. tell them they have to fish for fish. if they dont catch the fish, they have to say the phonics card that they did catch.

hints- i used to give a fishing rod to all the kids, but that became messy. all the lines kept getting tangled. now i just give it to one person at a time and the rest wait eagerly for their turn....adds to the suspense of trying to catch the elusive fish.

fun factor- 4.5/5
the teacher can add to the fun, by saying stuff like 'is it a fish, is it a fish........noooooooooo!' or making the jaws sound duuuhdu duuuhdu dudu dudu dudu.

Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:03 am
MES-Addict

The activity I use for teaching phonics: After they have learn a few letters we take some plastiline ( I suppose that is the right name in English) and children have to make of it one or two letters (depending on how big the group is) and flaten it on a paper. Then we check if they still can recognise the shapes. Then I tie some band on their eyes and they have to guess which letter or a short word they are touching (the level of difficulty depends on their abilities of course)

Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:35 pm
MES-Fanatic!

Post Phonics game of the week for 3-6 year olds
i call it "snake whacker"

materials- the same phonics cards from the fish for fish game, velcro (magic tape), a fly swatter.

what to do- put a big strip of velcro on the fly swatter and little pieces on the back of every phonics card. you then tell the students to try and whack the snake (obviously the Ss card needs to be a snake).

fun factor- 4/5
kids love to smack the cards, because it makes a huge noise. once again, the chance factor also keeps the kids interested.

Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:31 pm
MES-Fanatic!

Post "feeley meeley"
its called "feeley meeley". it is a game by milton bradley, so it can be purchased from the shops.....or you can make it yourself.

materials- a box, plastic alphabet letters.

what to do- cut a hole on each side of the box (so there should be 4 holes). the holes need to be big enough for a hand to go through. all the plastic alphabet letters should be in the box already. you tell the kids a letter that you want them to find and the kids race to feel and pull out the correct letter from the box. a person can only pull out one letter at a time. if the letter is wrong, they put it back into the box and try again. the first person to pull out the correct letter is the winner.

for this game to be fun, the kids cant look into the box...putting some fabric to cover the hole can help with this. kids also think its funny or gross when they touch another persons hand.

fun factor- 4.5/5......sometimes the correct letter is pulled out first shot, which is not a good thing to happen or sometimes none of the kids can pull out the coreect letter after a minute, which is also not a good thing. but overall, it is a fast action packed phonics game.

variation- put in other objects (instead of the letters) and tell the kids to feel and pull out a lion or something.

Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:44 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]