MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Simple DnD 
MES-Member

Post Simple DnD
DnD is a role playing game. Some people might know. Well I use this to teach older boys who would rather be somewhere else then studying english. Each student has a piece of paper and writes down the number 20. This means they have 20 health points. Useing big flash cards I lay these on the floor going in one direction. With 1 dice the students have to get from one end to the other saying each flash card (Just name or sentance. Anything you want) they pass. This is where it gets exciting. For example teaching animals. A student rolls a 3 and lands on a bear. He must then fight that bear with dice. The teacher rolls 2 dice adds up the total. Student rolls 2 dice adds up the total. The highest count wins. The winner will roll 1 dice to see how many points the losser will take. e.g Student 20 health points. Bear 5 health points. Student wins 2 dice throw. He rolls one dice and rolls a 4. Now the bear has 1 health point. This keeps going till one side has no health points. If student has no health points then he goes back to the start of the flash cards and starts with 20 health points. If student wins then he moves on.
Hope you can understand this so far. If you put food cards along the way students can regain lost health points if they land on it. e.g student lands on an apple he get plus 5 health points. The last card should be something big. Like an And/Boss in computer games. Make the fights easy teachers cards should always be under 6 health points. You will be able to get HARD TO TEACH KIDS to say anything you want. Be creative. Teaching transport tell the kids they are TANKS.ect This is the greatest thing about this game. You can stop play anytime you want get the students to sit down and learn new cards say new things before they can finish the game. They will DO IT.

Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:49 pm
MES-Zealot!

Well, that might work for a short while, it seems pretty limited. After you run through the animals, it might be pretty hard to use again. "Watch out! A bathroom attacks!" That just doesn't have the same appeal.

Also, instead of rolling two dice and then the opponet rolling two dice, then the winner rolling one die for damage, just subtract the difference of the original dice rolls for damage to the loser. Teacher rolls 5, student rolls 9, bear takes 4 damage. It will save some time.

Can you give some more examples of vocabulary and grammar points you can teach.

Sun Dec 10, 2006 7:10 am
Profile WWW
MES-Member

I've never played DnD, so maybe I'm just not understanding everything well enough. It seems to me that there is a lot of time spent with one student battling the teacher. What are all the other students doing during this? I tend to lose the class during any game that one person's turn takes longer than about 2 minutes to get back to their turn... Also, after a battle with one animal is done, does that student just stay there and wait for his turn again while all the other students take their turns?

The concept sounds interesting, so if you could clarify this for me, I'd be very grateful!!

Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:09 pm
MES-Member

Thanks for the replys. I used this game for a couple of students that dident want to learn english. I used animal cards to play this game. Because it seems more real. My bathroom looks very scary but i dont think students would find fighting a bathroom interesting. I had three BOYS in my class and played it with them. Over the months i taught diffrent topics but still used animal cards to play this game. E.g teach diffrent rooms of the house then use it in the game. Ss say " I see a bear in the bathroom."
I only played this game with a few Ss at once. Ss loved to watch there classmates battle. After Ss battles he waits his turn to move on. Each round i played took no more then 1 to 2 min long.

Again i posted this game for teachers who have trouble teaching older boys. It does take time to play but they will be interested. And you can stop play to teach new topics ect.

Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:02 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]