MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
How many ....s are there? Game 
MES-Member

Post How many ....s are there? Game
Each student gets two sets of 5 cards. For example, 5 tigers and 5 hamburgers (It's a bit of a pain making so many cards but they can be small and you can also use them for 'Do you have ...?' and 'Do you want...?' games etc)

One student places five cards face down on the table and asks 'How many (tigers) are there?' (There might be 3 tigers and two hamburgers, for example).
The other students guess how many tigers there are saying 'There are (two) tigers.'
Repeat with each student taking turns asking the question.

Scoring: You can just award one point for each correct guess or to make it more complicated you can award points according to how many cards they correctly guess. ie. If 'There are four tigers' was correct you get four points. In this case you will have to allocate a point value for a correct guess of zero cards.

*You will have to teach the difference between 'There is one tiger' and 'There are two tigers.
**If you think the students might get discouraged by the difficulty of correctly guessing the number of cards you could reduce it to three or four cards. This might be necessary with younger classes.

Let me know if I haven't explained something properly.

Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:22 am
MES-Member

Post Re: How many ....s are there? Game
The idea is great. You have explained it clearly. I'm planning to teach my children (8 years old) this construction and your game will surely come in handy :D

Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:25 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]