MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Review Games for Advanced Students 
MES-Addict

Post Review Games for Advanced Students
Our 9th graders are getting ready for a big test on Monday, and I've been asked to plan a review activity for them.

Can anyone suggest a review game for more advanced English grammar and level?

I have lots of games for lower level students, but none of them are very practical for practicing complex grammar patterns.

HELP!

Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:31 am
Site Admin

Is it supposed to be a review activity that uses speaking?

I know what you're supposed to cover but just to be sure and for the other teachers, what's the target language?

I know how to ... where to ... who to ....
relative clauses with that, which and who
contact clauses: the person Jim met on Wednesday
reduced realtive clauses: a telephone invented in 1826

Did I miss anything?

One more question is can you pick a trouble area and focus on one grammar point or do they expect a full coverage 20 minute activity?

Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:33 pm
Profile WWW
MES-Addict

Well, I think we're going to end up doing a few activities to work on a few sticky parts. But, I'm interested anyway, in a more comprehensive activity. For lower levels, there's always a pretty easily distinguishable and natural pattern to the language they're learning. However, I've found it quite difficult to come up with basic questions that will elicit answers such as, "I got up early to swim." Certainly, the question can be created, but it always feels forced and therefore difficult for the students to internalize.

Anyway, if you have New Horizon on hand, Units 3 thru 5 are covered. The grammar includes:
Have you ever ~ ?
Past Perfect: I have finished my homework.
To + Inifinitive clauses
and the other grammar you mentioned as well

Speaking is not so terribly important to the activity. There is no speaking or listening section on the test, so anything that will help them is acceptable.

It also appears that the will not be required to create their own sentances using the grammar points. Just translating, essentially.

:( :x :?

Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:54 pm
MES-Zealot!

We have just done some revision with have. It was for speaking and listening but the students got into it. I used the idea of get four but played using X`s and O`s on an individual sheet. On the left side I had 8 boxes with things like `Have you ever heard of...` and Have you ever played...` (also put in `Do you play ...` so as to have `have you played ---- for 4 years`). Then in the boxes on each line I put relevant things for the students to say yes and no to including some only I could answer yes to. For the first line I had Hideki Matsui, canterbury, the Beatles etc. Students ask each other and if the answer is yes they put a O on their square No and a X goes on the square. They have to get 4 O`s or 4 X`s in a row. Many in the class began to see the need for strategy and so if they wanted a O they had to think who would be most likely to answer yes and vice versa. The teacher thought it was going well enough to extend the time we used it for.

Fri Nov 17, 2006 2:53 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]