MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Awesome towns! 
MES-Member

Post Awesome towns!
I've got textbooks that I must use in class. However when it comes to test time, it's up to me. I've been using the town cards (Big Town, Little Town, High Town) for all different ages and levels and i'm loving it. The students get a kick out of them too, cause they haven't been taught with these kinds of material.
Just thought i'd let you know they're AWESOME!

Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:19 pm
Site Admin

Post Re: Awesome towns!
Thanks for the feedback! That's great that they have been working for you.

I have said it in several places, but the Big Town cards are what really started this whole place. I made those and had such success with the cards that I wanted to share them. So, I created MES English. The site itself became more popular for flashcards but I still think the activities are the better and certainly more unique items.

Lately, I use the cards for simple yes/no question formation. one student takes a card and asks, "What color does he like?" and the other students have to guess by asking, "Does he like green?" for example.

Where are you teaching?

Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:41 am
Profile WWW
MES-Member

I agree with you! These passports are great. I had my students create maps to go along with the High Town passports. Great for teaching buldings and hangouts.

Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:02 pm
Site Admin

That's great that the students are enjoying the cards.

The city stamps are fun. I actually end up teaching a bit of social studies with those as well. A lot of my elementary school students have heard the names of the cities, but they don't know which country they are in. Some don't know where those countries are. I also like to ask them what the country is known for. Most of the time they answer with the food from the region.

The passports are on the High Town cards for those that are interested. There is a lot you can do with the cards and the information on them. The High Town game page has previews of the cards and sample target language ideas you can use.

Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:43 am
Profile WWW
MES-Member

I use the town cards in my university ESL classes and my students love them. They are so different from the typical text book exercises they usually see.

Thu May 02, 2013 5:10 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]