MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Game to Test Vocabulary Comprehension 
MES-Addict

Post Game to Test Vocabulary Comprehension
My wife was telling me about a game she used to play when she was little and I thought I'd share it. A person says a noun and throws a soft ball or beanbag to another person. If the word is of something that is edible then that person should try to catch the ball. If the word is of something that is not edible then he should push the ball away.

It is a really simple game, but it could be adapted for any lexical group: animals, countries, adjectives, words starting with the letter P, etc. It is great for testing listening comprehension. And it also gets the students to remember and practice saying words in a particular category.

Last edited by barnett7ya on Sun Sep 24, 2006 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Sep 22, 2006 2:03 pm
MES-Member

I usually play with a ball in my english class. I ask them to throw it each other following numbers or letters. It is very useful to make conversations: The child who throw the ball make a question and the one who catch the ball answer it. :D

Fri Sep 22, 2006 11:47 pm
MES-Zealot!

Yes! A ball bouncing or throwing and catching type of game is useful at any level from little kids and even right up to adults. It can be a useful tool to get quiet students to talk. For some strange reason, the ball somehow helps them talk?!?!?! :smt017

Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:02 pm
MES-Addict

A ball does give the student the idea that they are playing and that does prompt some of the more shy students to speak up. Just make sure the ball is of the soft variety. I used a tennis ball back when I started teaching and ..... aargh!

Michael...

Mon Oct 16, 2006 5:56 am
MES-Member

Post new game
Yes, I to often use a ball in class, but I have never played that game! It sounds simple & fun and I think I will try it. Thanks!

Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:12 am
MES-Member

Post beanbag
I prefer using a beanbag to a ball, because when someone misses, we don't have to chase it all over the room!

If the kids are getting tired, I'll often pull out a little beanbag animal and begin tossing it to them. What color is your shirt? (toss) What day is it? (toss), How old are you? (toss). The bean bag gets tossed back to me after each question, if I'm in high speed mode, or I let them toss it on to another student and ask a question of their own.

Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:44 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]