MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Survey Question Database -- Is This Something We Could Do? 

Would anyone be interested in participating in such a project?
Poll ended at Sun Jan 21, 2007 2:04 pm
Yes, it sounds like a good resource. 100%  100%  [ 5 ]
No, for the love of God, I have better things to do. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
What? 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 5

Survey Question Database -- Is This Something We Could Do? 
MES-Addict

Post Survey Question Database -- Is This Something We Could Do?
For awhile now I've had the idea of playing a simple version of the TV game show Family Feud with my students. The down side is that to make it more authentic there has to be actual survey data that was not simply made up by the teacher. I've thought about how I could get such data without e-mailing my friends with a long list of questions for them and several of their friends to answer and then compile it into a database.

Later I want the students to think up their own questions and do a survey in their schools and communities and then I can also make a database which can also be used.

I've noticed that when I post a message on the forum that I have the option of adding a poll question and I thought that we could make a database here in the forum that anyone could use for such purposes. We could just make a separate thread for survey questions and slowly add questions and answers.

Would anyone be interested in participating in such a project?

Sat Sep 23, 2006 2:04 pm
MES-Addict

Actually, this could make a pretty good international project. If my students in Korea made up a survey (with results) and posted them online. These could be used by students in another country to play a quiz type game. It would be a good way to learn about the differences in likes/opinion based on culture. It could even be used as a head-to-head challenge between two classes in different parts of the world where they swap survey data, play and post the score results.

Sat Sep 23, 2006 2:37 pm
Site Admin

If people think they might be interested, I'll create a new forum for surveys. Let's try a couple threads and see what the response is like. I'll open the voting to anyone not only members. Let's keep the polls in the general forum for now. If it takes off I'll move the survey polls to a new survey forum.

It seems like a great idea. Also a lot of fun to post students questions.

Sat Sep 23, 2006 3:12 pm
Profile WWW
MES-Zealot!

This certainly sounds like a worthwhile thing to do. Could be great fun, for students as well as teachers!!

Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:05 pm
MES-Fanatic!

An English teacher in Austria asked me to find out if there are students in my ex-hometown who would like to pen e-mail her students as a way of improving her Austrian students' English. I thought your survey idea is something that would interest her class. It would be a great way to compare differences in cultures, opinions, have fun competing, etc. It sounds challenging! I hope you can swing it.

Funny thing is, she tried once before with pen pals in the States and had to cut the project short. The Americans misspelled so many words, and their grammar usage was sloppy compared to the way the Austrians believe English must be spoken. The Austrians were appalled! Sometimes I have to laugh, though, thinking of how many of us play with the language, and concoct phrases such as "S'up dawg?" 8) Language is so cool!

Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:57 am
MES-Fanatic!

I see at the top one can vote yes or no, but where's the voting lever? Howdayavote?

Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:00 am
MES-Member

Post Good idea
I tink this could work.
In Mexico the show that is like Family Feud is called "Cien Mexicanos Dijieron" so maybe the game could be called someting like "One Hundred People Said"

Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:31 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]