MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
Holiday vocabulary 
MES-Member

Post Holiday vocabulary
Holiday vocabulary can be very difficult for my students so the more we practice the better they do. This is a group game that starts slowly and can get pretty hard. First you review all kinds of holiday vocab: such as (Thanksgiving- cranberry, turkey, pilgrim, gravy, etc.) and then you start the game by saying, "I'm going shopping for Thanksgiving dinner and I'm going to buy a turkey." The next student in line picks up with, "We're going shopping for Thanksgiving dinner and we're going to buy a turkey, (and then add one) and some stuffing." The next person will go on with, "We're going shopping for Thanksgiving dinner and we're going to buy a turkey, some stuffing and (add one) mashed potatoes. The game continues around the classroom or group until a mistake is made. The goal is to of course review the vocabulary over and over again as well as improve memory skills. Sometimes I use manipulatives to represent each item, something like a small chip so that they can see where we are in the series of items. Like I said, this can be done in a variety of ways. "I'm going to the farm and I see (Farm animals)...", "I'm walking in the city and I see a .....(Occupations), "I'm drawing a picture and I'm using a (Writing utencils).....", Whatever vocabulary you have that you want to practice, it's a good warm up as well as a good review.
Cathi

Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:52 am
MES-Fanatic!

This is a good game indeed. I use it quite a lot myself with good results. To keep students on their toes I sometimes use a soft rubber ball which I throw to the first student who is supposed to make the first addition. Then that student throws the ball to whomever he chooses to let that person continue.
In this way an element of expectation is added to the game. They have to stay tuned in because it might be anybody's next turn.

Sat May 13, 2006 4:34 pm
MES-Member

Thanks Cathy - I have been trying to think of a fun way to practice newly introduced Halloween words with my beginners and I think that this could work. I'll try it!

Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:42 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]