MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
Make Surveys More Fun 
MES-Addict

Post Make Surveys More Fun
I'm sure most of us who use a regular book have come across surveys where the students should go around the classroom and ask five people a few questions using the target language and mark the answers in a chart.

I have found that the students don't really have much enthusiasm for these surveys and I can't say I really blame them. After all the results are not used for anything. So how can we make these exercises a bit more meaningful and fun? Make it into a puzzle.

I got this idea when I was reading a knight and knave riddle (those are the ones where a society is made up of knights who always tell the truth and knaves who always lie). Before the students get up and ask the survey questions have them draw a card from a knight/knave deck of cards. If they draw a knight then they will answer the questions truthfully. If they draw a knave then they must lie when they are asked a question. At the end of the survey the students try to discover who the knaves are in the class. I have made the rule where the students must not disclose their nature even if they are working in a group (and they do prefer to solve the puzzle in groups or pairs).

This of course requires the questions to be open answered and not just yes/no. It adds a bit of meaning to the routine book survey.

Sat Sep 23, 2006 6:08 pm
MES-Member

I like Knights and Knaves. I'm gonna try it.

Another good way to spice up question/answer target practise is to do a bingo. For example: "How was it? " (good, terrible, boring etc...)

Stundents write 9 answers of their choice in a bingo grid. They then go around and ask people in the class "How was it?" If the person answers with a word on their bingo card they cross it off. Aim is to get 3 in a row. They usually have to ask at least 5 people before this happens.
________
NEW MEXICO DISPENSARY

Last edited by jeshika on Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Sep 30, 2006 4:10 pm
MES-Addict

Thanks for the idea, jeshika. I like that. Anything to get a different response to "How are you?" other than the robotic "I'm fine, thank you, And you?"

Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:48 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]