MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
Another Good Dice Game 
MES-Addict

Post Another Good Dice Game
In Ukraine they play an interesting variant of poker dice. It has an extra element which is refered to as "going to school". I've taken this particular part of the game and made it a separate game which is fun to play with younger children.

Before, in schools, they used to had a marking system that went from 1 to 5 (5 being the highest score). A person roles five dice and looks at the results and decides which grade (1 to 6) he will go to (you want to get as many of that particular value as possible). After deciding on the grade he can role the remaining dice (those without that particular value) again. Set aside those of the correct value and role the unused dice for a third and final time. So the maximum is five (just like the grading system).

When it is his turn again, he can go to any grade other than the one he has already finished. So there are a total of six rounds in the game and everyone go to each grade once (but not in any order).

I have the students say which grade they are going to with a sentence such as "I'm in grade 5", "I'm going to grade 3", "I will go to grade 2", etc. and I have them say out loud there running total and announce at the end the results. "I have three 4's."

The total score is done as follows. Multiply the number dice for each grade by the grade. For example five 4's is a perfect score in grade four and results in 5x4=20 points. You add up all the points for all the grades and get a total. A perfect score would be 105.

I have lots of younger students who enjoy this game. We practice numbers and they can also practice their multiplication.

Larger classes can work in teams, or the class can be divided into group and a set of dice is given for each group.

Sat Sep 23, 2006 1:46 pm
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]