MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Sticky Ball 
MES-Zealot!

Post Sticky Ball
Ok this is a game that I learned from a friend in Seoul and my kids love it.

Mark I also talk heard about it on one of the teacherstalk pods, but when I did a Forum search I couldn't find a thread, so I thought I would post it.

Anyway, if you 're not sure what i am talking about, there are these balls with little rubber suction cups all over them and they stick to laminated cards and blackboards.

I use them two ways, the first is to tape/hang up with maganets various large flashcards. I then ask a question adn the student answers and tries to hit the card that I indicated, if they are successful, thye get a platsic marker representing one point.

The other idea is tto draw a target on the board with various values for each circle. I then hold up 1to 4 flash cards and ask the student a question. The higher the point value they hit with the ball the more difficult the question.

I like the second option because then I can give partial points for partially correct answers.

In Seoul some of the girls didn't like the game, but all my female students in my little town really enjoy it.

The balls can be found at street vedor stall here in Korea and I am sure that can be found in toy shops in most countries.

You can play with teams or individually.

This works great as either a warm-up activity or a clsoe out the lesson activity. I tend to use it fo rthe latter because my kids get all excited and rowdy during and after the game. Of course if you have lethargic classes, then this might be a good activity to get the energy level up at the start of the lesson.

Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:36 pm
MES-Addict

I also like using sticky balls in the classroom.

Here is an added twist or two for you.

With the large flashcard game

(You can use smaller cards and just section off the black board, or white board as well)

Under the cards - write a secret a varied point value. If the student hits the card and correctly answers the question, then they receive that point value. If you make them of different values, it levels the playing field.
I even add -points as well. or something crazy like 1 000 000 points. My kids find it very funny though to go into the negative point range. It is almost as fun to lose by -1 000 000 points as it is to win by that much.

The other twist is the Secret star game.
Same game, but under only one card write a small star. The person that finds the star is the winner.

I play the secret star game on teams as well, dividing up the board, and having each team draw the star on the other team's side. Then they hide their eyes and the other team draws their star.

If you have a class of boys, you can get dart guns that are also quite fun, and can be used the same way.

Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:27 pm
MES-Addict

Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:01 pm
MES-Addict

Post Sticky Ball Gamble
I'm quite thankful to the sticky ball as it's been my companion for about 6 years of teaching. One variation you can try (although it depends what kind of floor you have) is to tape a box near the board at the front of the classroom (use colored insulation tape). Then tape three lines of varying distances leading up to the box for the kids to stand on. So the game goes like this, the winning kid stands on the first line nearest to the box and throws the sticky ball at it. If he/she hits it then he/she gets points. Then you ask 'Do you want to gamble?' If they don't they can keep they points, if they do then they go to the second line and throw again. If they hit then they get more points, if they miss they lose all the points (thus its a gamble). If they miss their turn is over,if they hit they can once again gamble or keep the points. You can make the last line the highest point score. It's a fun game!

Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:45 pm
MES-Member

Your information for Sticky ball is so nice and this game is so awesome to play. I think this game is very interesting when you play it indivisibility rather than in team.
Its very nice game and like play it individually.

Last edited by rickybotha on Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:15 pm
MES-Member

Post Thanks a lot for that idea.
I'd never thought of that version of the game as I normally use a normal small ball and the bin in the classroom. I first ask a question and if the students guess they get the chance of throwing the ball into the bin for extra points.

Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:56 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]