MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
Need ideas/feedback for Spanish Class mixed K-5th grade! 
MES-Member

Post Need ideas/feedback for Spanish Class mixed K-5th grade!
Hello, I would love any suggestions/feedback/games that might help a brand new teacher improve! For the most part trial and error has served me well, but I'm having a few issues and could use a few new ideas!
Sorry if this is a little wordy, I have a unique teaching situation and am taking all the relevant feedback I can get because this is my FIRST TEACHING JOB!

I am a first year Elem. School Spanish teacher with no previous teaching experience or education courses but a passion for the language and determined to succeed (my degree is in Spanish and allows me to teach the subj in the state of Fl. temporarily, I'm contemplating taking education courses and going back to school next yr)

I teach at 4 different schools, classes are mixed K-5th grade and vary by school. So basically I have each class once a week after school for 1hr-1hr 15mins.

I'm proud to report that 3 out of 4 of my classes are normally fairly enjoyable to teach, thanks to small class size, family members who speak Spanish, and some seriously motivated students who request extra work to practice!!

However I have one class that has none of those, and I'm having a really hard time with them every week because of the large class size and composition, most are pretty unruly and have no interest in learning the language and they can't wait until it's time to leave. The kids like me and are not shy about interacting with me at all, but I think I need a better class routine and structure to keep them on point.
It's just me with a class of 17 (6 kindergartners (boys and girls), 6 5th graders(all boys), and the rest are 3rd and 4th grade) so I found it very difficult to do group activities without the classroom getting out of control. I use a rewards system that keeps them under control for the most part, but I think I waste more time disciplining than teaching because what works with my other classes does not work with this one and if I lose them it's tough to reel them back in. My biggest problem is probably that none of the children have taken Spanish before or speak any Spanish at home and I don't think the parents really read the weekly newsletter sent home.
I have a lesson plan book that I use for my other classes and the activities all revolve around about 10vocab words each week (last wk fruits, this wk breakfast, nxt wk lunch etc.) But it's not very extensive and like I said what works with the other classes doesn't seem to work with this one. I've tried pictionary, hangman, matching pictures to word on flashcards, singing songs.....and the list goes on. The only thing that kind of worked was BINGO.

ANY FEEDBACK/SUGGESTIONS/IDEAS ARE WELCOME, PLEASE AND THANK YOU!!!

Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:48 am
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]