MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
post your favorite warm ups 
MES-Zealot!

Post post your favorite warm ups
I am looking for some new ideas for warm ups

esp for kids

many thanks

:smt004

Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:45 pm
MES-Fanatic!

When I taught Kindergarten 4-7yrs old, my students really enjoyed a colour guessing game. Actually, even the 8-9yr olds like that game too, they get very competitive.

It's very simple but a lot of fun :) I have between 6-12 cards, depending on the age and the students guess what colour I am holding and the student who guesses the correct colour gets that card, if you are in a small class. You could use it with anything really.

I have also done a listening game. I clap my hands, tap my foot or snap my fingers between 1-20times and the students have to listen to how many and tell me the number. After they get the hang of it, I then have a student come to the front of the class, show them a number and have them clap it out. I usually help out the younger kids by clapping with them.

Or how about 'I spy' or 'Charades' depending on their level.

Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:00 am
MES-Member

Post parts of the body
For "parts of the body" review, I have them first standing face to face. I ask a student to be my helper to model and then I tell them that they'll have to show coordination and their memory work by modeling the following:
I ask them to repeat these parts of the body: foot, knee, hip, elbow, hand, shoulder, cheek. Then I tell them they will have to touch their partner's part of the body as they call it with their same part of the body (their foot touches their partner's), so when they say foot, they have to touch their partner's foot (both will do so, then, while they say the name), but since they have two, they'll have to call it twice (one for the right and one for the left one), then they do the same with their knees, then for the hip they have to do it for both sides (as if dancing disco music!), and so on.
You have them practice it slowly, and then you ask them to increase the rate at the pace of your voice. It'll sound like this:
foot-foot, knee-knee, hip-hip, elbow-elbow, etc.
It is really fun to do, kids enjoy it a lot and it helps them review parts of the body and it is a great work-out!
Try it and have a great time.

Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:45 pm
MES-Addict

It depends on the topic.You can have students draw a word map. Write the topic on the board and students write all the words related to that one around. If the word is SCHOOL SUPPLIES they can write all the classroom objects they know in English around (pen, pencil, book, etc). It works!!! And it also shows you how much students know.

Wed Sep 20, 2006 8:46 am
Site Admin

I like to do relay races to review old question and answer activities.

I go over the language again quickly and we practice passing a ball or something one time. For large classes you can have them pass a ball or a card(s) up and down rows. For smaller classes just have them pass the object around the circle or table.

With larger classes they are obviously racing against other groups. For small groups I time them and see if they can improve on last weeks time or see how many laps they can do in a certain amount of time.

The students really like it. It's good review and helps with fluency.

Sometimes I have 'exercise time' right off the bat and play a Simon Says type game, but more interesting than Simon Says (in my opinion.) It's written out here www.mes-english.com/games/gamestoplay.php

I've also played the Get 'em game as a warm up and review. Big Town and Little Town also are fun right out of the blocks if the students have already covered the information.

Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:22 am
Profile WWW
You could do a review of whatever "type" of vocabulary you are working on. For example, if you are on a food unit, you can call out words in English -- food items mixed with other words.

You'll then need to find a way to have the students acknowledge if the word is right. You can have them write down the words you say in two columns (such as a "food" column and a "not a food" column) and use it as a graded review. If you have enough room, you can have the students line up along one side of the room and step forward when the word is a food or step backward if it's not a food. You could also give them "paddles" that you've made up with popsicle sticks and paper with the word "yes" on one and "no" on the other and have them hold up the correct paddle after you say the word.

Depending on the age of your students, you'll can incorporate a how much competition you want to involve in this "warm-up". Younger students will benefit more from the activity than from the competition aspect, but older students will certainly be more motivated with a little competition added in (especially if you form teams).

Fri Sep 22, 2006 9:57 am
MES-Addict

I have a ball with suction cups and I like to use this for a quick warm-up game. Put down the review cards (there should be at least two of each--it all depends on what the topic is) face up on the floor or desk. One student throws the ball and catches one card. The other students then must find the other matching cards. It works great if the matches are slightly different. For example picture and word, upper and lower case alphabet, words with the same first sound, etc. My students often ask to play it again instead of moving on to the next section.

Mon Sep 25, 2006 12:47 am
MES-Fanatic!

I do something similar to that. Make sure that the cards are laminated.

Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:19 pm
MES-Member

I usually make a phisical response activity with my younger children and they enjoy a lot.
I say them "stand up", "arms up", "right", "left" , "draw circles with your arms", "open your mouth", "yawn", "hands down".
When they have used to this words i change the scene a little bit.

Tue Sep 26, 2006 5:59 am
MES-Fanatic!

I also do a "Simon Says" warm up at the beginning of every class. Then I have created an action board game to review the actions that we have been warming up with.

Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:47 am
Site Admin

Post Re: post your favorite warm ups
for medium size classes, I like to have a question blitz round.

I have all of the students stand up. I ask a question and anyone who can/wants to answer will raise there hand and say, 'yes'. I call on that students and if they can answer correctly, they can sit down. Once all of the students are seated, the activity is over. It's a great way to review a large amount of language structures and vocabulary.

I generally start with harder open questions because the stronger students usually answer first. They will sit down and continue to listen and think of answers. I will slowly switch to easier closed (yes/no) answer questions that make it easier for the less confident students to answer.

This can take some time to get used to. The first few times might take 10-15 min. but once the students understand what is expected, they will get faster and better at answering.

If you are team teaching, split the class in half and have each teacher take a section.

Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:29 pm
Profile WWW
MES-Zealot!

a good warm up is the Touch game

teach parts of the body, make pairs, they face each other with hands by their sides (standing) and listen to my call
its a race to touch the correct part of the body
eg touch your shoulder
the loser sits down and the winners go into the next round
you can junken (rock scissors paper) for the students that do it at the same time

Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:15 am
MES-Member

One quick warm up i often do, is review a structure that was taught in a previous lesson. I usually teach a class with anywhere between 20-35 students. For a small class, I pass a small ball to S1 and ask a question - "What food do you like?" S1 answers "I like _______." Then S1 asks S2 and so on until everyone has had a chance to ask and answer the question. To make it even more interesting, I keep time and write the time on the board. Then we repeat trying to beat the previous time (this also helps with fluency). With larger classes, I divide the class in half and have students compete. The first team to complete the Q & A wins (keeping time will also work; where after 2 or 3 rounds, the team with the fastest time wins. The kids really enjoy it and its a good way to get them talking right from the get go!

Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:07 am
MES-Member

As a kindergarten teacher many times I have made the little ones play this game -

The game is called Collect 10 and is a dice game. Kids have to compete to roll the dice and get the higher number the maximum number of times. The first one to roll the higher number 10 times wins the game. Hence, the name! My students really get competitive and enjoy a lot! This is also an enjoyable math games to get the little one master the number recognition and counting skills.

Try out this one and have fun. I have got my idea from here - http://www.jumpstart.com/common/collect-10. Take a look for more ideas.

Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:19 pm
MES-Member

My favorite warm-up activity has always been the one in which I got all the children to sit in chairs in a circle except one person who did not have a chair. This person stood in the middle of the circle. The person in the middle called out one instruction - e.g. "Change if you are wearing a white shirt." All the people wearing a white shirt must stand up and change places. The last person left standing without a chair, calls out another instruction - e.g. "Change if you live in Canada." All the people living in Canada now change places and the person left standing calls out another instruction and so on.

Wed May 13, 2015 6:07 pm
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next