MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
Adjective Games 
MES-Addict

Post Adjective Games
Hi all,

I have been teaching adjectives, comparatives, and superlatives this week and I was thinking I need some new games. Mine are good, but I wanted to hear some new ideas.

Anyone have any ideas for some good conversation-based activities to reinforce adjectives?

Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:33 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

For comparatives and superlatives I always play Eigomon. It's a great game for anyone old enough to read off numbers. They don't need to be able to read the English on the cards. If you have younger students just explaining what each bar represents is enough and they'll remember which bar goes with which value.

When I work with really young students I basically play the same game but do it with insects. I lay out all of the insect cards face down in the center of a group.
    - I choose two people to battle first.
    - Each of the two students draws one card and keeps it face down.
    They aren't allowed to look at the card.
    - They play rock paper scissors and the winner asks a question

"Which one is bigger/faster/stronger?"

- They turn over the cards on the count of three
    - The person with the bigger, faster or stronger insect is the winner

For adjectives I use the adjectives cards here for simple sentences practice. We play games like concentration, slap, and bingo to remember the vocabulary and to practice easy sentences like, "Lions are fast."

I've also used board games, Bounce Around and Get Four with teens and adults.

With Get Four: I put adjectives across the top and animals down the side. When they place a mark in a square they have to make a sentence:
"Lions are not white."
"Some dogs are cute."
(that game is also good for quantifiers)

With Bounce Around, I usually just put an adjective in the content box and students can make sentences or questions using the adjectives. They can compare something or describe something.

This is not really a game but an activity for adjectives and adverbs. Using the Skit Kit or Mt Diamonte Project, I have the students make a story. Once they have made the story, I have them go back and "make it pretty". They have to add in 10 adjectives or adverbs to make the story more descriptive and interesting.

Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:28 pm
Profile WWW
MES-Member

Post Games using Honeycomb Challenge
I use the vegetables Honeycomb Challenge game board for playing games with adjectives, but you could use any of the Honeycomb Challenge game boards on the site. My students start with a list of adjectives that they can use with the images. They have to come up with a sentence using one adjective and the vegetable that they have landed on (This is a red pepper). We then work with two adjectives in the sentence (I like crisp, fresh lettuce.). The next game they have no word list, and the following time they play we make a list of the adjectives used as we go along and they cannot be used again in the game. At the end of the game it can get quite tricky for the students to find new adjectives but they always mange to think of something (juicy, raw, sliced, fried, large, round, ...). We also used the same idea for similes and metaphors (The tomato is as red as a cherry, and juicy like an apple.)

Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:15 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]