MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
Broken Phone 
MES-Member

Post Broken Phone
I have all students clean their desks and place a sheet of paper and a pencil "only" on the first desk from each row. The students in front are the only ones allowed to be looking at the teacher, the other students need to have their heads down over their tables.
I write a vocabulary word on the board, you can also show them a flashcard with the word on it, and give them a couple of seconds to look at the word; I usually do this by counting out loud -try to erase the word, or put the flashcard out of sight before the time limit is up.
At the end of the time limit I say "GO", this is the sign for everyone to put their heads up and for the first studentl to whisper the word to the student sitting directly behind. Students keep passing the word to the rest of the row by whispering on their ears; when the word reaches the last student they run to the front and write the word on the sheet you placed on the first desk.
There are three rules you need to make clear to your students before playing the game: 1. Only the students passing the word can be standing, the rest have to wait for their turn on their table; this is so there are no accidents with children running all over the place. 2. The first students cannot help the student who comes to write the word. 3. There is no fighting over mistakes allowed at game time, otherwise the game is over!
When all groups have written their words down, I write it on the board do a quick repetition drill while passing from row to row checking the spelling of the words.
To give all students a chance to see the word and to write it I have them all move one desk back while the last student moves to the front of the row.
:smt020

Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:48 pm
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]