MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
Kinesthetic Game for Vocab practice for K-8+ 
MES-Member

Post Kinesthetic Game for Vocab practice for K-8+
This game works well with K-8 students. I usually make 4+ sets of pictures for each vocab word in a unit to use for several games.

Easy ones would be Memory and Go Fish.

This next one helps gets the wiggles out of young kids, who you will place in a circle facing the center. I take 3-5 different cards and place them in front of the students with one student standing in the center without cards.

The teacher (later the student) will call out a vocab word (or create a sentence with it "I like... (optional add "and")" and those students with that picture must step into the circle and find an empty spot. The student in the middle will try to claim a spot and a new student is stuck in the middle. The calling continues. You can check the calling student's knowledge of the vocab as well as the students stepping in the middle. If students don't step into the circle and they are supposed too, often other students will catch it and the late move will force them to switch.

I've spread these around the exterior of a room before too, but that can get a bit rambunctious!

Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:58 am
Site Admin

That's a great game. It's called "fruit basket" out here.

I use my game card sets, like you explained. I'll bring three sets and hand out the cards, giving two cards to each student if we don't have that many students.

It's also really good for practicing relative pronouns. You don't need cards, you just have students describe a particular group of boys, girls, or both:

All boys that have on white sneakers
girls that take chemistry
people that have a brother

Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:43 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]