MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
A winter activity - making paper snowflakes 
MES-Member

Post A winter activity - making paper snowflakes
Hi Everyone,
I've just done two classes with 6-year olds making paper snowflakes and it was a blast, hope you will find it useful! Here's how I did it:

1. I found instructions for making paper snowflakes online - you can just google it, there are tons available. I used the ones from the following website: http://highhopes.com/snowflakes.html, there are six different patterns and I found this was the perfect number. I tried them all out at home first to know exactly how they work.
2. I printed out the instructions and brought the ready snowflakes with me to the class to show the kids the final result. I also printed photographs of real snowflakes and the kids were amazed that they are so beautiful and all different.
3. All you need is a bunch of A4 white sheets of paper and a pair scissors for each students. It's a good idea to instruct the kids about scissors safety before you start - my students got pretty excited and there was a lot of running around and showing off the ready snowflakes, so it could be dangerous.
4.First, seat all the kids in front of you and show them very slowly how to fold the paper so it's ready for cutting out the pattern. It's important that they get it right, so you don't waste time later showing them individually.
5. Very few kids were able to cut out the patterns themselves, so I got them to line up and drew the patterns on their paper with a pencil. Then they went back to their seat and cut it out. When it was their turn to have the pattern drawn, I'll ask 'Which one would you like?' and they had to answer 'This one, please', or 'Number 1, please'.
6. I did it in 30 minutes and most kids made 3 different snowflakes. Some students got creative and made up their own, new patterns - some were really good! And the kids got a great buzz out of doing it.
7. You need some cleanup time - preferably 10 minutes, because the classroom gets pretty messy with small bits of paper. If your class is only 30 minutes, like mine, start cleaning up whilst they are still making the last snowflakes. You can also make it shorter by giving each student only two sheets of paper, but I found it's better not to limit them because if the first snowflake doesn't come out, they may get a little upset, so it's better for them to know there is no limit and they can try again.
8. You can teach them more spontanious language when they run back to you to show off their snowflakes. They just shouted 'Aneta teacher, Aneta teacher!', so I taught them to say 'Aneta teacher, look, I made two/three/etc snowflakes'. It was great fun.

Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:38 pm
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]