MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
something cold to drink - game cards 
Site Admin

Post something cold to drink - game cards
I made a set of game cards based around the grammar point "something to ~"

something cards

in the set, there are cards for:
something sweet to eat, something salty to eat, something hot to drink, something cold to drink, something cool to wear, something warm to wera, something funny to watch, something scary to watch, something to read, something to write with, something to write on, something to sit on, something to do/play, something to listen to, something to cut with, something to kick, something to throw

I use the cards to play Go Fish.
"Do you have something warm to wear?"

I'm not sure where to put the cards on the site, so I'll just put them here for now.

Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:05 pm
Profile WWW
MES-Addict

The 'something to' cards look great, Mark!

As they are more challenging because you have to add the adjective as well (something hot to eat) , those cards also fit my adult courses.

Thanks a lot!

Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:33 am
Site Admin

I use them with my teens and adults as well. I added the adjectives and prepositions because they're pretty important with this grammar point.

I introduce this by laying out a card like the DVD. I ask what it is and someone tells me "It's a DVD." Then I say well what how could you explain it to an alien. An alien has never seen a DVD. What would you say then?

They're usually a bit stumped at first, but they figure out other ways to explain it. "When you use it, you can watch movies." for example. Then I introduce the target language "something to watch".

For introducing 'something' and 'someone', I use relative clauses and play Go Fish. I start with 'someone' and use the part-time job flashcards. They ask "Do you have someone/a person/somebody that works at a music store?"

Then I use the looks flashcards for something, again with Go Fish. "Do you have something that looks dangerous?"

So by the time we get through those, they have a pretty good idea of the concepts 'something', 'someone', and somebody'.

I haven't quite worked out a good way to replace 'something' with concrete nouns, "a book to sit on", without just explaining it. However, maybe they'll be able to make that jump with enough ground work first.

Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:06 am
Profile WWW
MES-Addict

Thanks a lot for sharing your procedure to elicit the correct structure from the students.

To replace 'something' with concrete nouns, I don't know whether I understand you correctly.
Well, I was thinking about some kind of puzzle.
For this you should have 'to drink', 'to sit on', 'to kick' and so on on seperate cards. Either in words or in pictures which show someone sitting, drinking, kicking.
They then have to 'Puzzle' the correct card with the item in front of the word card. For example the chair in front of the 'to sit on'.
Then they build sentences or half sentences like 'A chair to sit on'.

But maybe you meant it completely different? :oops:

Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:29 am
MES-Addict

These cards are very useful. Actually the idea with the alien is what I like the most. I will play Go fish with these and the other cards, so the students will have to guess different things every class and will have to use more and more adjectives, and most important they will learn easily how to describe things. :D

Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:22 am
MES-Addict

Loved the something cards thanks, will definitely use them :)

Happy teaching keep up the good work! It's always a pleasure to visit your site.

Dom

Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:25 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]