MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Review games 
MES-Fanatic!

Post Review games
Hey all okay here is the thing.... I have varies games I use for review but am looking for more. Any ideas on good general review games.. Especially as it is that time of year, at least in Japan, when the new academic year begins...

Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:39 am
MES-Addict

A game I often use for review is called KABOOM!

The class is broken up into teams.

I print out review items on strips of paper and on several strips of paper have the word KABOOM!

All the strips of paper are folded up and placed into a bowl.

Students from each team chooses a review item from the bowl and addresses their team to elicit a correct answer. If the team answers correctly they receive a point. If they don't, then another team has an opportunity to answer.

If a student picks KABOOM!, then their team can remove a point from another team.

The game ends when all the review items are selected or when a team reaches ten points.

Hope this is helpful! :)

Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:16 pm
MES-Fanatic!

blueguyblue thanks for the idea will try it.

Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:53 pm
MES-Addict

Post A Good Review Game
Hi,
A good review game that I found elsewhere on this site is a whiteboard/blackboard card game. Basically you need to make 25 cards (they should be the same color and the front should be blank). Choose 20 of the cards and write varying scores (in 10s) from 10-100 (try to only use 100 twice though). With the five remaining cards write 500 points on one and two presents and two dinosaurs on the others. Place a magnetic strip on the backs of all the cards (don't cover your picture or points) and you're ready to start. Basically you can review any voc, sentence patterns or whatever and have the game going as a scoring system. Lay out the cards in five rows of five and label it like a grid A-e and 1-5 so the kids can choose a card without coming to the board. Whoever answers a question can pick a card and if its points then they're added to his/her teams score. The interesting part is if they get a dinosaur/present. If a team gets a dinosaur then all the other teams' points are erased (go to zero). If a team gets a present then they get the points from the team with the highest score (without that teams points being erased) and that score is added to theirs. Its quite simple to play and can be used for many age levels. It may take a while to prep the cards but once they're done you have a great resource!

Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:05 am
MES-Member

I going to play kaboom first time because after reading your review i really think that will be great game..
Thanks for info...

Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:34 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]