MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
health sickness / paper game 
MES-Addict

Post health sickness / paper game
Here is a quick idea for health and sickness.

For my Japanese J.H.S. kids (class of 33) I took the paper game format and placed rare and common illnesses in the left column (dengue fever, SARS, black plauge, a cold, hay fever, a cut knee).

Then on the top I placed pictures of symptoms (a runny nose, a fever, a cough, a sore throat, chills, a tired person, and a bleeding knee).

Then I worked the "Yes" or "No" boxes to give the correct symptoms for each illness. Students play rock-paper-scissors, the winner is the doctor, the loser chooses an illness, and the doctor asks questions. I had the doctor be able to ask 2 questions, then he/she had to guess. If the doctor guessed correctly, the doctor gets paid a dollar. Then they play again with new partners.

The dialouge was like this:

Doc: "Do you have a cough?"

Patient: "Yes"

Doc: "Do you have a runny nose?"

Patient: "No"

Doc: "Ah-ha! I think you have the black plauge! Take this medicine."

Patient: [correct] "Thank you, I feel better."
[incorrect] "Ugh! (faking their death)... It was SARS."

For those who don't know the paper game, the format of the sheet is a grid. I put 6 or 7 symptoms on top and 6 illnesses on the side. Then I had X and O to mark which symptoms the patients had. Here is a brief example.

----------------cough------fever------tired------sores------a runny nose------a bleeding knee
SARS------------O-----------O---------O-----------X---------------X---------------------X
Black Plauge ---O-----------x---------O-----------O---------------X---------------------X
Allergies --------X-----------X---------X-----------X---------------O---------------------X

The kids (ages 12 and 13) had fun learning about illnesses like SARS and the Black Plauge. It is also a bit of a strategy game, and with simple enough dialouge, they were all able to pick it up pretty fast.

The game lasted about 30 minutes with explanation.

Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:21 pm
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]