MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Fun and games with my teens!! 
MES-Zealot!

Post Fun and games with my teens!!
Hi Mark,

Well, I never thought I would see the day when my teens (14 to 17)
would run to look up English words in their dictionaries!!
Today they did. :-D

I used some of your vocabulary cards so that they could bet money against each other and against the bank (me).

They had to make up a sentence with a word that they had made with Quiddler (or using clothes, transport, etc MES cards). :D ยจ

You can find Quiddler on the internet or just make your own alphabet letters so that they can make verbs or words.

With Quiddler the cards have numbers and they were added up at the end of the lesson along with the money.

A member of the yellow team would say a word to another team, such as son. The blue team couldn't see the word so they don't know if it's son or sun.

The yellow team who were asking could then bet $10.00 and if the other team didn't give them a correct sentence, then they had to pay the yellow team $10.00.

I as the bank then test the yellow team and ask them for a sentence...if they don't know the true meaning of their word...I get $20.00. :D
It was a lot of fun!!

Would it be possible to make larger notes like some $50 or $100 notes to add to their game?

If it isn't possible, it doesn't matter....I know you're very busy!! :D

Anyway, I just wanted to share this game and hope that you've understood it. :D
As usual your cards are a huge success and I just can't understand how these kids aren't getting higher marks in school...they're making such good progress...but I guess that's because it's in a fun and relaxed lesson and they have a crazy teacher like me. :D

Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:31 am
MES-Addict

Post Quiddler
Hello,

I read your post on the quiddler game, it seems like a really nice game to use. Do you know where it's possible and if it's possible to download the cards in pdf format? I would love to print them out and laminate them and use them in class.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Domi

Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:25 am
MES-Zealot!

Post I bought the Quiddler game!!
Hi Domi,

I bought my Quiddler game off someone who suggested it to me. :D
I have seen it on the net...just type in Quiddler and it should come up with the game.

I also use it a lot with my adults...all levels...and it's a huge success!!
Or you can just write up the alphabet and add extra letters yourself on pieces of paper and laminate them but you can't download it. Sorry.
Have fun and do let me know how it goes if you play with your teens!!
Fifi.

Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:40 pm
MES-Addict

Post Hello again
Hi Fifi,

Thanks for your quick reply. I will look for it on the internet as I don't think they sell Quiddler here in Portugal. Thanks for the advice.

If I manage to try it out I will let you know how it goes.

;)

Domi

Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:26 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]