MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Classroom English Game? 
MES-Member

Post Classroom English Game?
I'm looking for a fun game that allows students to practice classroom English. CE like:

"How do you spell____?"
"Can you repeat that?"
"What does that mean"
"May I use the bathroom?"
etc...

I have done it where students get a slip of paper with Word, Meaning, Example and then have to ask my the appropriate questions when I say a "strange" word so they can fill it out. I want to try something new.

Class: 30+ students / Korean middle school

Thanks!
A

Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:22 pm
MES-Addict

I will be interesting too in ideas, because I don't have any - except for miming and making the pupils making the same gestures as I do...

Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:55 pm
Site Admin

Post Re: Classroom English Game?
acornrevolution wrote:
"How do you spell____?"
"Can you repeat that?"

These two I pretty much do as they pop up, especially the first one.

For asking someone to repeat something, I generally start with something easier for them to say, like 'What?' and then build to 'I'm sorry. What?' and later 'I'm sorry. Could you repeat that?'

I generally do it to them. I ask a question to a student and after they answer I pretend I couldn't hear them. Then I ask them 'What?' (I use yes/no questions so they don't think I didn't uderstand and get all self conscious about their English.)

Then I ask someone something like, "Are you *%&$#*+?>" The last part is jibberish and the idea is to get one of the students to ask me 'What?' Then I ask them "Are you sleepy?"

Anyway, I'll just keep doing that throughout the lesson that day and then for a few more lessons. In time I get them to add on to the phrase as above.

acornrevolution wrote:
"What does that mean"
"May I use the bathroom?"

I use street signs and other signs, like a no smoking sign to teach both of these. You might be able to find some pictures with a Google image search but you could also just go around the city and snap some pictures of street signs and other signs.

So first I get them to describe what it means in English, then I ask 'Ok, if these signs were posted at the park, can I bring my pet?

See the perfect park project.

Anyway, that's a little advanced to be able to describe what the signs mean.

For a simple definition, 'What's ____ in Korean?' or 'What's ___?' where you explain it in English, for the latter you could try some stuff from Harry Potter. There are so many made up things in those stories and since most have already been made into movies, you can probably find a picture of them on the Net. a quaffle, a snitch, a griffin, any of the magical creatures, ...

For either, you could have them match pieces of paper. Put one word on one side and a description on the other. Then cut them in half and mix them up. In pairs the students have to try to pair them together.

they could 'ideally' use the target language as they are arranging the papers and/or just ask you once they've finished.

Not the best ideas I've ever come up with, but maybe that will inspire you to come up with something that's better.

Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:34 pm
Profile WWW
MES-Addict

I absolutely love the perfect park project !! I'm for sure going to do this with my kids - they will love it.
Is it possible to get somewhere on the site a handout to the big flashcards (a circus, a trampoline, etc.)? As for the signs "no swimming, no smoking" etc are those the ones available only as a thank you gift? (they're great btw!)

Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:29 pm
Site Admin

Is it possible to get somewhere on the site a handout to the big flashcards (a circus, a trampoline, etc.)? As for the signs "no swimming, no smoking" etc are those the ones available only as a thank you gift? (they're great btw!)

Well, there's no handout for the perfect park extra flashcards right now, but I could add them to Tools for Educators when I add the playground images. Or you could just print the file with multiple pages on one sheet and then hand write in the vocabulary for now.

Yes, the actual cards I use for the signs are the ones in the thank you section. But, it's pretty easy to snap some pictures of signs around town. Any sign will do. Then you could just print those out and use them.

Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:40 am
Profile WWW
MES-Addict

Or you could just print the file with multiple pages on one sheet and then hand write in the vocabulary for now.

I didn't think of that - that's a good idea, I'll do that ! :)

mesmark wrote:
Yes, the actual cards I use for the signs are the ones in the thank you section. But, it's pretty easy to snap some pictures of signs around town. Any sign will do. Then you could just print those out and use them.

You're right; and they(d be authentic - but I just love the drawings ;)
I'll see ;)

Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:55 am
MES-Member

I actually found an article with a couple of classroom English games:
http://www.jalt-publications.org/tlt/fi ... _mirk.html

So, I will break my classroom English lesson into 2 lessons.
Lesson 1 - Things the teacher says - and play the row race game
Lesson 2 - Things the student says - and play a hot seat type game after teaching them the vocabulary/phrases.

Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:53 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]