MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
games for comparison 
MES-Fanatic!

Post games for comparison
looking for games dealing with comparison.... you know something is bigger than something else.... this would be for JHS 2nd year .... anyhow some ideas would be appreciated... really they would.... :D

Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:28 am
Site Admin

You can also use the Paper Game. Just change your top rows to:

'faster than Tom' | 'smarter than Lisa' | 'taller than Mary' | ...

You could also just write:

'than Tom' | 'than Lisa' | 'than Mary' | ...

and the students could choose adjectives freely.

If they're not ready to make questions yet, have them used tagged questions.

S1: 'He's faster than Tom, right?'
S2: 'Yes. He's faster than Tom.'
or
S2: 'No. Tom is faster.'

Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:05 am
Profile WWW
MES-Zealot!

You can also do a flip game using three stacks of cards. The first and last sets are some sort of noun, family members, animals, etc. The one in the middle is some of the adjective cards.

The student flip the cards and make a sentence. ie. 1st card brother, second card tall last card father. My brother is taller than my father.

You could make it nto a game where either one student or the teacher flips the cards and the first student to raise their hand gets to try and make a sentence.

Another option although limited to size is to use different sized flash cards. I havce a few sets where I printed out large, medium and smaller cards.

I use them to teach things like This elephant is bigger than that elephant, but it's smaller than that one.

I don't limit them to one set. I might use small animals cards with large insect cards. The kids get a kick out of the Ladybug is bigger than the horse.

Finally you could use the food, fruit, and vegetable cards for taste comparisons. I haven't done this, but you could just flip two cards and have the students make a sentence.

Say you flip cake and apple. One student might like apples better (ie. yours truly) and another prefers cake. Then they can say "The apple tastes better than the cake. or vice versa.

You could even use three sets, for more comprisons as with the elephant example above.

Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:02 am
MES-Fanatic!

Thanks your two... ELIS (sorry you have a long nickname.) will definitly try it... I should have thought of that..... Mark, the paper game sounds very interesting too. I will try it...

Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:24 am
MES-Zealot!

I have always found animals a great topic for comparisons

you could easily make games up using them (for JHS level)

eg have a bunch of animal flashcards on the board

in teams the 1st team to write a sentence gets a point and then 1pt for every different sentence (ie different adjective).

You could have 2 points for a perfect sentence and 1pt for the right idea just a mistake. etc (this would encourage ideas even if they were not 100% sure of the spelling or order etc, then correct them all later)

so I am talking about "elephants are bigger than cats"

"lions are faster than snakes"

"hamsters are smaller than dogs"

etc etc

Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:44 am
MES-Zealot!

here is another game for you I just found

http://www.sendaiedu.com/comparisonboardgame

Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:15 pm
MES-Member

thanks for ideas. eigomon is improper to use at the lesson. Isn't it?i don't like it. So i usually use cards with people or animals. Each student draws 2 cards (of animals or people). He tells to his fellowstudent one comparison : for example -the lion is faster than the elephant or the elephant is bigger than the lion. His fellow student should ask him also - who is the fastest or who is faster/bigger/...A teacher first of all gives some examples of comparisons (faster. bigger, more lovely, more friendly, more aggressive, ...) The work is done in pairs. The teacher gves 5 min to pupils to speak and then ask some pairs.

Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:46 pm
Site Admin

thanks for ideas. eigomon is improper to use at the lesson. Isn't it?

This is the second time you've said some character cards may be improper. I'm just currious as to why you believe them to be improper.

Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:02 pm
Profile WWW
MES-Member

Post Eigo downside...
I love using Eigoman and spent way too long on comparison with my "special" class because they liked playing. However, I can only really use AGE, HEIGHT, SPEED, and STRENGTH, as making sentences about "who is more agile?" or "who is more staminous?" is going to get a little too heavy.
A great set of cards, though I wish I could tinker with the Attributes.

Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:11 am
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]