MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
Absolute Beginner guys of 15 and 16 
MES-Zealot!

Post Absolute Beginner guys of 15 and 16
I've never had Beginners of 15 and 16 before and am not sure how to teach these guys. :-D

I don't know if they'd like the small flashcards to help them speak and they probably won't want grammar. :D

It's a private lesson and they've both left school.....it's not as though I'm helping them with homework for school. :-D

Any ideas to "break the ice" for all of us and to enjoy the first lesson.
I've got my Great Verb game with verb cards but I can't play that for an hour with these young men.

Any ideas are most welcome as we're starting this week and I feel a bit lost!! I've always had False Beginners or Elementary students of 15 to 18 and it was easy!! :-D

Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:09 pm
MES-Member

I am not sure if this is helpful advice, but I have a similar problem in South Korea as that particular age group tends to be very self-conscious and non participatory... and I have found that when it comes to the subject of popular music my previously dead-pan students become very talkative and animated.

For ice-breakers, I generally do a bit of web-research and print off photos of various pop singers and groups. The presentation of these photos is the context for my lesson, and the lesson itself is tailored to the names of the musicians/ bands.

For example, I did a conversation game called "Deserted Island" in which the students are in groups and generate a list of necessary or fun items they would need on a Deserted Island. When I changed the context so that the students were generating a list of what their favourite pop stars would bring to a Deserted Island, they were far more creative and opinionated, thus resulting in more verbalization.

I hope this is helpful to you :)

Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:19 am
MES-Zealot!

Post Thanks!!
Hello Tsmiller,

Thanks for your help. :D

I'm now going to put the 17 year old in with an adult group to get him understanding and speaking more English. :D
We play games so it should work out for him.

The other young man of 17 is going into another teen group and for the moment, they're really happy playing games and watching "Happy Days".
I'll see how he fits in with the group of 2 boys and 3 girls but I certainly will keep that "Deserted Island" game in mind for both my groups. :-D

Do you pre-teach vocabulary before playing the game?
Some of mine don't know basic words because the English lessons go so fast at school. :-D
I'm playing the Who, Action verb, Where game and they like that a lot. :D

I'm very pleased that they all like watching "Happy Days". I didn't think they would. But the same old problems of boy wants to meet girl seems to appeal to them. :D

Once again, thanks for writing and suggesting something for me. :D

Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:21 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]