MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Dodge it! 
MES-Addict

Post Dodge it!
First you need lots of colored plastic balls. The students stand up and dodge the balls the teachers tries to hit them with. If they get hit with the ball. example a yellow ball. They must make a sentence such as "A banana is yellow / Bananas are yellow."

Also this game works with alphabets. I picked up some foam alphabets from the dollar store and pretended they were ninja stars. After they got hit with a letter, I had them practice their phonics. Example. B says b, b, bear.

Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:30 am
MES-Addict

Careful not to stab someone's eyes out or not have them smashing into each other as they try to dodge the flying objects.

I guess this would be better with smaller groups :).

It's nice to throw things at the kids sometimes :D.

Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:45 pm
MES-Member

or to be done in an empty area - i can see chaos if i did this in my classroom.

This works also with them throwing a ball between each other and they have to say a sentence e.g. A banana is yellow. then the next person has to use the last word in a sentence etc.

Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:01 pm
MES-Addict

I love it. Here's an idea for adapting it to small classrooms. All the students sit in a small group. The teacher sits in the middle. Students can't look up at all. If they look up they lose and it's the same as if they were hit by the ball/letter.

The teacher throws the ball strait up and it comes back down. Students that are hit have to complete the task (multiple can be hit if it bounces). You can also give balls to all the students and have them all throw them up at the same time. If there is a little bit of space between the students, most won't hit a student, but fall down harmlessly.

*I used to do this with snowballs as a snowboarding teacher. Everyone made a snowball and would throw it upward at the same time. I held one snowball and if any students looked up I would peg them with it.

It is really hard not to look upward because of the anticipation, and one would almost always do it.

Despite all the coldness and treachery, they loved the game.*

Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:58 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]