MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
Games On Giving Directions... 
Post Games On Giving Directions...
Any Ideas On This? :?

target: Elementary KiDs! :-D

Thx In Adv...

Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:50 am
Site Admin

Well ... you could have them put their desks in groups of 4. You can then direct a student to another student's house (where they are sitting.) You can also have a student guide you. You move according to what they say, even if they make a mistake.

A harder and more fun activity is to guide pairs from a start point through caution cones. The gym teacher should have some cones, but anything to mark goals will work. You make small goals and have teams. One member of the team is blindfolded. The other members have to move their blindfolded player through the goal, but they have to stay behind the player and they can't touch the player. (You can have several teams but then it gets pretty crowded in a classroom. It's better in the gym or outside.)
'Turn right.'
'Take three steps.'

A short course is best to start, but a three goal (gate) course is best for practicing.

Usually giving directions is a lesson such as above, but I have my private groups explain other things like how to make something in oragami, how to serve green tea, video game cheat codes, how to use their cell phones, etc. They aren't games but just speaking activities. Oragami is the easiest, because they can just keep saying 'Fold your paper like this.' but you can work in
'Turn over the paper.'
'Fold this back.'
'Hold this down.'
'Fold this over.'
'Hold this and fold this piece into here.'

Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:00 pm
Profile WWW

this is very good! thank you so much!!! :D :D :D

i had to start today so i kinda missed this thread..

but i did something similar:

because i only have a "playroom" with a circle drawn on the floor, i split 2 teams, put obstacles randomly in it, and a "marker for each team across from the teams (inside the circle).

one student from each team will start from their end and they janken, the winner will have their team give directions using "go straight/back, turn left/right" and every minute on my clock i will move the goal and obstacles and this creates a lot of fun and excitement because they have to race against the clock! every hesitation or "aiko" makes their goal hardedr to reach.

will definitely have to try the blindfold one next week! :-D

thanks again.

Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:04 pm
MES-Addict

Iv done the desk’s game too with a class of 42 kids, and it works really well!

Another game I do is to draw a gridded map with some buildings and streets on the board, then assign teams a character – half ‘humans’ and half monsters or dinosaurs or something. The idea is for the humans to get past the monsters and home. I ask quiz style questions, and the quickest answer gets to roll some dice then direct their character that number of places. It’s all pretty simple English like this – eg. “Forward 5, turn left, forward 3” – but it’s a good way to review after you’ve already taught directions.

Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:15 am
Profile WWW
MES-Fanatic!

I do this one in the gym... There is one person who is it... He/She is blindfolded. There is also a guide. All the other students are standing next to place cards (flash cards with places such as park, fire station, supermarket, etc). The teacher asks the blindfolded student "where are you going? " student answers "I'm goin to the ----" the guide then starts to yell directions out to the person who is it... Turn left/right. Go strait. Stop. turn around. The goal is for the person who is it hit their target with the help of the guide. you can put obstacles in their path if you want... or you could make it so that if some one touches the blind folded person he/she is out..

Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:05 pm
MES-Addict

Pin the tail on the donkey. Only you can make it pin the beard on santa (with cotton balls), pin the tree (cut up a christmas tree into three of four pieces).

Teams of 4-6, on student is blindfolded and the others have to direct him/her to the board using "go straight, go left, go right, go up, go down, there!". You need another teachers help if it is a bigger class.

I did another similar thing with foam swords (or blow up hammers). Students are fighting in teams and directing with English. We had 4 teams (east, west, north, and south) and and we tiered a match.

Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:58 pm
MES-Addict

Another one I did with my 10 year-olds, after they had been studying directions for a while, was have them all take something important to them and kind of expensive. Some had watches, some had glasses, some had pencil cases. I explained it had to be something easy to break and preferably expensive (that gets their attention pretty well). Then I set the items around the room like we are going to play "mines" (a game where they are blindfolded and have to navigate the room with a partner without stepping on mines [paper]).

I send one student out of the room and a teacher or student to blindfold him/her. While that student is being blindfolded, I remove all the items and put them aside somewhere safe. The other students know, but I make sure to let them know it is a secret.

The student comes back in blindfolded and thinking there are nice things all over to be stepped on. I have the other students direct the blindfolded student as if the items are there. I encourage them to laugh, gasp, and give crazy wierd directions ("like woaaa! Stop! Jump left. NO!! Not there. Careful. Go straight five steps and turn right, then jump.) I had the students direct the student once across the room. Then we unblindfold the student.

It's not really a great game for an entire class, but it is a funny practical joke that the students like, and they do use all sorts of English trying to keep the joke going.

Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:10 pm
MES-Addict

Hahaha, I love the expensive things idea. Until I read all the way down I just had mental images of my rowdy third graders trampling over things without caring.

Adam Zollo wrote:
It's not really a great game for an entire class

This is the real problem iv come up against with everything to with teaching this subject. I have to do directions in some detail as part of my cities curriculum but finding fun ways to teach where everyone is doing something is super difficult. I’ve always thought some kind of board game would be appropriate (and when I have considerably more time than I do now, I might have a go at one) – does anyone know if something like this exists already somewhere?

Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:31 pm
Profile WWW
MES-Zealot!

A fun game is to include the command, "shake hands". Pair up the students and blindfold one of them. The other gives them directions. They guide them to another blindfolded person and say,"shake hands" Those 2 people shake hands and also say their names. It's always a big hit.

Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:22 am
MES-Addict

A game I make for directions is a treasure hunt inside my school. I give them a plan of the school, and tell them directions to the treasure, and they have to go and get it. They really love it.

Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:30 pm
MES-Fanatic!

A simple 5 minute game I have done with my elementary students is as follows.

One student is James Bond and gets sent out of the room. Then we decide who the spy is. James Bond comes back in and the students in the class give him directions to find the spy. We are just using simple language (go straight, stop, turn left or right). When they are near the spy I ask them to guess who is the spy by asking "are you the spy" and the student who is asked answers yes or no.

The students really like it and some are very kind and send James Bond straight to the spy. Other classes like to send James Bond walking round in circles for a while first.

I then played again with the same class in exactly the same way but using the target language of "Turn left at ..." and told them they had to give the student's name for where they should turn.

I usually play it once with a volunteer as James Bond and after that draw student numbers out of a hat so it is random. If I know the student who is James Bond is not very good at English I follow them around to make sure then turn the right way.

Wed May 20, 2009 1:55 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]