MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
I have 40 Adverb Flash Cards 
MES-Fanatic!

Post I have 40 Adverb Flash Cards
Each one of them contains a simple sentence adverbial. What kind of game can I make with these?

Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:27 pm
Site Admin

Can you post some examples of the sentences?

What's the point of the cards, to learn the words or learn how to use adverbs?

Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:53 pm
Profile WWW
MES-Fanatic!

I am trying to get them to speak in full sentences and teach them the vocabulary and grammar at the same time.

Some examples are:

He quickly ran to the store.

He slowly ate his pop corn.

He gently held the baby.

Each lesson for the beginning semester must include a grammar point, vocabulary, sample dialogue and an activity to reinforce the days learning point.

Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:42 am
Site Admin

How about pre-teaching some of the adverbs. Then have groups draw one card. Then have them write down as many other adverbs as they can think of that would fit in the same spot. Give them say 1 minute.

You could have them read out their answers and other groups plus you vote on whether that's acceptable or not.

Not the best game i've pulled out of my hat, but it seems a little fun and builds language.

Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:21 pm
Profile WWW
MES-Member

Post Adverb game
I'm not sure what words you've got there, but maybe you can have each student pick one individually and they can make a sentence out if it. The next student would have to follow the first pupil's example, and so one. Maybe they can develop a story that will surely entice the class to listen and participate. Not sure if it'll work, but there's no hurt in trying. Good luck!

Philippines

Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:39 am
Site Admin

Another idea building off of beryljoselle20 is to have a student draw a card. They read the card and then make a different sentence using the same adverb. The next person in their group would try to make another sentence and so on.

To make it a game, you could make the goal 10 sentences. (10 is arbitrary, lower for lower level students or simply lower the number and then raise it as they get better at it.) If they can make 10 additional sentences, they get 10 points. If they pause for too long, other groups can steal their card by making a correct sentence and then building (from the previous groups total) up to 10. (The original group can obviously steal it back.)

That would keep the whole class paying attention and focusing on the adverb that popped up.

If it's just a small group of students just award them if they are able to make 10 sentences.

Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:08 pm
Profile WWW
MES-Addict

Post Gestures
Or charades

Have the students draw a card at the front of the class. They must recognize the adverb, and act out that word. They may change the verb that is on the card, or keep it as they like. If the other students in their team can guess what adverb they are trying to act out (in maybe 30 sec) then they recieve a point. If they can guess not only the adverb, but put it in a true sentence, they recieve 2 points.

Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:28 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]