MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
what are your students favorite games? 
MES-Fanatic!

Post what are your students favorite games?
i thought i would see what the kids best of the best games are with different teachers for 1)card games 2) sports related games 3)any other 4) word games

1) card games -for my students 6-7 years, the "simple get em" game on this website is the favorite. for 8-12 year olds, the donkey game with normal trump cards is the favorite (the rules for this game can be found under the suggestion, feedback, whats new section under the post title "yes no game idea".

2) sports- beach ball volleyball is the favorite- basically everyone asks each other a question (either general or that lessons target sentence). once this is done, we all stand in a circle as one big team and count how many times the ball can be hit before it touches the ground.

3) other- there is no beating bingo, especially when the winner gets a candy. the bingo boards on this website are top knotch. the kids enjoy them more than the bingo sets that have bought from the shops.

4) word games- hangman for the younger kids. categories for the older kids.

Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:29 am
Site Admin

1. Bingo and all it's variations - hands down www.mes-english.com/flashcards/bingo.php

after that it's a little gray but...

2. Say Theirs (card game) : www.mes-english.com/games/moregamestoplay.php

2. Eigomon (other - fantasy/RPG): www.mes-english.com/games/eigomon.php

4. baseball (sports theme) : www.mes-english.com/games/baseball.php

5. Little Town/Big Town (card game) : www.mes-english.com/games/bigtown.php

6. Exercise/Line jumping/TPR games (sports theme): www.mes-english.com/games/gamestoplay.php

7. Othello (card game) : www.mes-english.com/games/gamestoplay.php

8. Slap or karuta (card game)

9. Concentration and other memory games (card games)

10. Treasure Hunt (card game) : I hide little treasure cards under some of the cards while students hide their eyes. Then they turn around and choose a card by saying the item. This is fun and easy. This is No.1 with the 3-4 year olds.

There are so many others and I'm a little bias as I tend to play my own games more than any others. I also tend to play more card games than any other.

Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:40 am
Profile WWW
MES-Zealot!

As for my students, they enjoy any kind of game, as long as they don't think there's any hard work involved!!! :wink: My students are 1st year Senior High from Tokyo. They enjoy bingo..... we must play some form of bingo daily or they get very cranky with me! ~ But I might add that we only play after a spelling quiz. They love card games.... fish, snap, and all variations. They also like board games with questions. I find these very versatile, as I can use the same board over and over and just change the question cards depending on what grammar I want them to practise. Some other teachers often question why I use so many games in class, and the answer is very simple. Japanese kids love games, even senior high school students. And they learn something while having fun. The results are that generally my students gain a better knowledge of English and can communicate more fluently than other students from the same program taught by different teachers with different approaches. I'm not just blowing my own trumpet (!!) but it's fact!

Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:27 pm
MES-Zealot!

1 Bingo in its many forms

2 Go Fish in its many forms

3 Karuta ........

4 Info gaps (esp for the higher levels)

etc

Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:56 am
MES-Fanatic!

Post favourite games so far
In all the classes that i have attended so far i have noticed that the kids love 3 hint games, i was surprised.They love listening to my hints, and they love giving hints too. Bingo for some reason hasnt been too exciting for my students, that too was surprising. :|

Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:06 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]