MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Kindergarten games 
MES-Addict

Post Kindergarten games
Hi there everyone,
I teach Kindergarten (3rd year) and I find that I often need a lot of new games to keep them occupied. I have a collection of my own games that I use but I'm wondering if anyone else has some good ideas for kindergarten games? They learn all subjects - reading, writing, science, stories etc. I'd appreciate any ideas.
Thanks.

Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:52 pm
MES-Zealot!

One of the most popular games at my ES schools for the entire year last year is a game I call 'Eto', which means 'umm' in Japanese.

You can play this with any topic and its REALLY simple. Post all flashcards somewhere where they can see all them. Have them close their eyes, remove a card and have them open them and say the missing card. While this game is simple with 8-10, it becomes quite challenging when there are more than 20 cards up.

For a better explanation of this game: http://jhsenglipediaproject.com/esp_game_eto.aspx

Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:12 pm
MES-Addict

Post Kingergarten games
Thanks for your idea, I'll give it a try and thanks for the link - there were quite a few useful games on that web site!

Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:18 pm
MES-Fanatic!

Post Use Simon says to
teach them to say please.

Or if you are trying to teach faceor even body parts make a big fuzzy pink dice and have them stick in the number of eyes, ears or body parts on real potaoes.

Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:35 pm
MES-Zealot!

boy! .... thats very different to my kindie

are not not even supposed to do writing at elementary school!

Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:30 am
MES-Zealot!

writing? at Kindergarten?

The original poster is from Taiwan...not Japan. :)

Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:13 pm
MES-Zealot!

Kiwione wrote:
writing? at Kindergarten?

The original poster is from Taiwan...not Japan. :)

but still (I know), thats amazing!

also thanks for the ETO game, I will use it

Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:21 pm
MES-Zealot!

I think Taiwan probably takes their English program a bit more seriously than Japan, unfortunately.

About that 'Eto' game, that is by far one of the top three games my ES students love for the past 2 years and the greatest thing about it is I can practically use it for every topic.

I'm at ES today and I've already used it as an entire lesson in one class and as a warm-up in another. I think the made the game popular was explaining WHY the game was called 'Eto'.

Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:45 pm
MES-Fanatic!

Can you tell us some of the games you use? It would be great to know, and might help us give you relevant games. I am curious about the difference between kindergarten games in Taiwan and Japan.

Thanks!

Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:55 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

I've played the same game you guys are talking about, and long, long ago I posted a version that's for a bit higher level students but definitely can be used with beginner elementary school students, swap.

However, for younger groups, I like to play a different version.

Last Card Out:

Once students are familiar with the vocabulary in the grouping, but need a little more practice, I play this game.

- Deal the cards out one at a time.

- Ss say the vocabulary as the cards appear.

- Place the cards down one by one, covering the previous card or place them face down.

- Hold the last card out of sight.

- Then ask the students a question concerning the card and the students have to guess what the last card is.

The student or team that guesses the card gets a point. If they can't remember then the next student has a chance to guess the card and so on.

If no one guesses correctly after one round, the teacher gets a point.

- Then play again.

It's easy and the same idea as above. The students have to be paying attention during the drilling and remember what was said AND what wasn't. It's a great way to drill all the cards over and over again with purpose from the students' perspective.

** use a smaller amount of cards with younger students and increase the cards to increase difficulty with older students**

there's also this next game from here: http://www.mes-english.com/games/moregamestoplay.php

Try Remembering This: learning vocabulary or short phrases, drilling game

Drilling vocabulary or just say phrases with flash cards can get boring very quickly. This is a game to play to help students learn the vocabulary. I run through vocabulary as usual with flash cards and drill. Before I lose them, I show them 6-7 cards consecutively lying them face down on the table as we say them. Then I pick up the stack and ask the students, "OK. What was the first card?" The first person/team who can tell me the vocabulary word/phrase/sentence wins the card, and then I ask them for the next card. Random guessing is good but stop them at 3 or 4 and then repeat using the same cards they couldn't remember plus however many more to get you back up to the same number as before.

Ties can be inserted back into the deck or given to the weaker student/team with reassurances from the teacher, "I think he said it first." ;)

Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:53 pm
Profile WWW
MES-Zealot!

Summer school starts tomorrow; I think I'll try it then.

Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:23 am
MES-Member

Post games for kindergarten kids
Fetch!: review the vocab you are practicing. have enough small cards with the vocab picture on it, put them around the room/at the end of the hall. divide kids into 2 teams. Say the word, the kids race to get the cards and bring it back to you (have enough cards so that they can each get one, not fighting over it/no loser).

Race: I use this when practicing things like people(family, jobs, christmas/halloween characters), and animals. Review 6 vocab. Then, using magnetic clips, put 6 vocab cards on the board and draw lines beween them (horizontal) and then vertical lines to make squares. Each square represents a "space". To the left of each vocab card there is a number.

Kids take turns rolling a big foam die with numbers 1-6. Say the kid rolls a 4, and next to four on the board is a kangaroo-get all the kids to repeat "Kangaroo" and then move the kangaroo forward one space. Repeat until all kids have had a go. Even if one of the characters has won, all the kids want a turn and they are interested to see who comes in second and third place. My kids LOVE this game and always want to do it again. (If you have a huge board, you could make a circular track???).Build the game up at the beginning by asking which they think is the fastest...I also practice colors with this game-I have 6 small kangaroos in different colors, rabbits or frogs might be fun too!

Where's nemo?: You need a board, magnetic clips, flashcards and a small character (like Nemo or mickey mouse or whatever) with magnetic tape on the back (or you can just draw the character.

Review the vocab. Then get kids to turn around/put their head down. Hide the magnet character OR draw a small pic) behind one of the vocab cards. Kids turn around. I divide them into 2 groups. I ask one kid in the first group "where's nemo?", the kid answers "banana"(say, I am practicing food vocab). Get all the kids to repeat banana, then remove the banana card. If the small magnet is there, that team wins, if not continue on with the next group....

hope this is helpful
Penny

Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:24 pm
MES-Zealot!

My kindies age aged 4 to 7 and there are 18 of them in one class. So I really have to keep on my toes and have lots of different activities.

I use a Tigger and Eyore puppet in cass that the kids love, so I think I'll print out one of the the other charasters from Pooh.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:01 am
MES-Zealot!

Well I used the Nemo idea and it went great.

Instead of Nemo, I used the small bear flash card since we had already studied some animals. I placed it beneath some large falshcards and they tried to guess where the bear was.

They loved it. I think we could have done it for the whole period, but alas, we had other things to go over.

We will however, play again sometime.

Cheers for the idea. :D

Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:21 pm
MES-Member

Post Re: games for kindergarten kids
I want to try the RACE game. It sounds like it would work for my group. However, I'm not sure I understand.

In your example, the kangaroo would move on top of another character, right? Or does everyone ahead of it move forward also?
How does one win? Return to the original position?

Forgive me if I seem dense, but I'm having trouble visualizing how the game works, but really like the idea. Any help appreciated!

Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:59 am
Reply to topic   [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next