MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Opposites Game (adj.) 
MES-Fanatic!

Post Opposites Game (adj.)
Next week my students are to learn adj using opposites flash cards. Skinny, fat, etc. I know how Im going to do the class and all that. However, Im not sure which game goes with it. I dont have Karuta (listening game) cards for it, and I dont really think I need to make any. Are there any other suggestions out there for Opposite Adj games?

Thu Jun 28, 2007 11:33 am
Profile YIM
MES-Addict

Get two sets of your adjective flash cards and identify how they match up to the kids. Pretty - ugy, Tall - Short, big - small, etc. Then take one group and put them on the white board or on the floor. Use the other group for drawing then draw a card from the other group and have the students race to its opposite. For example, if you draw pretty, they have to find ugly. Its even better if you have the winner draw the next card and announce it to the next group of competitors.

Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:31 pm
MES-Fanatic!

Thank you for the reply. I didnt have a chance to read it (or wasnt replied to yet) so I had to find a game for myself. I decided to play 20 questions, which to my surprise the kids (at least the 6th grade) liked very much. So, I would also suggest that game to anyone else that has this problem.

Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:21 am
Profile YIM
MES-Addict

Post Bunny Ears
One game I used to play was the "Bunny Ears Game" when I had a few students at the same time. The game is like this: Let's say you have 4 students. Teach and review 4 sets of opposites. First you teach one word and next the opposite, so for example "big" and then "small." That way they know the words go together. When they got it down have them stand in a circle, eyes closed, and hands on their heads like bunny ears. Place a set of opposite cards in their hand. When you passed out all the cards, say open your eyes. Now they can see everyone's else card but their own. Now they should guess which cards are on top of their head. The first one to do so should get 3 points, second fastest student gets 2 points, third will get 1 point, and the last 1/2 point.

Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:56 am
MES-Addict

Post Nice warm-up
I took my laptop to class after downloading a cool drum loop. I have this program that will allow me to loop a sound file. I'm sure you can work out a way to do this even if you don't want to go to that much trouble, eg clapping, vocal drums etc.

Anyway, I basically had the class rapping to the beat using these lyrics,
"I say _______, you say _______." (dun da da dun.....dun dun da dun) The student has to give an answer on a beat. Give the students a chance to recover. Go on to the next student with a different adjective.

An example could go something like this: I say black you say....white. (dun da da dun.....dun dun da dun) I say hot, you say....cold.(dun da da dun.....dun dun da dun) etc etc The students really enjoyed this and didn't want to stop. Also used it for word association.

Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:25 pm
MES-Fanatic!

robdsm what do you do if the kid gets the word wrong??? I like to put the kids in two opposing lines. so that the kids first people are facing each other. then what you do is stand off to the side between the two lines of students. Flash them a card and either yell opposite, in which case they have to say the opposite word, or just flash the card and they have to say one fo the words, either one.... it's a fast pace game. the team who gets the most right wins....

Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:23 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]