MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
Freeze (or Bang) 
MES-Member

Post Freeze (or Bang)
It is based on a game in Australia called bang. Bang is a very common children's game used in youth groups, on camps and at birthday parties. I changed it to Freeze because I didn't think it was a good idea to have students shooting each other. It is not the easiest game to explain without visual aids, but I will do my best.

You start with the participants in a circle with yourself in the centre. To begin with, you freeze a participant, using your hands like you're shooting an energy bolt, and yell out 'freeze'. As you do this that participant must to duck down. After the participant has ducked down, it is then a race between the two players either side of the one who ducked down to freeze each other - calling out 'freeze' and using their hands again. The slowest of the two is frozen (sits down) the one you tried to freeze can stand up again and the game continues. When you have just two left they must stand back to back. As you count they take steps away from each other, but when you call out 'freeze' they must turn and shoot. I will usually play a round of this game as it is before trying to turn it into an learning activity.

If you have a fun group, you can make the frozen ones strike a pose and keep it. :D

Variation for ESL: After teaching the basic game I then explained that instead of using the word 'freeze' I will call out a word such as 'tall'. In turn, the students shooting each other, instead of saying 'freeze', must call out the opposite word to the one I used (short).

Hope you like it :-D

Wed May 10, 2006 7:13 am
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]