MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
the flyswat game 
MES-Member

Post the flyswat game
the flyswat game is like grab but using flyswatters instead of your hand. Have children in groups of about 3-6 with about 20 cards and a flyswat each. Children lay out target language cards with either pictures or words face up, hold flyswats in one hand with the other hand behind their backs, I call out "flyswats up" (in Japanese) children reply "up" (which means that just after they have replied there is a quiet spot - you need this as the game is really noisy) and I say the word they are looking for. The person who swats the correct card gets to keep it. I usually have a master copy of the vocab on the board and point to it as a check/reminder for anyone not sure of the correct answer. Safety rule is anyone hitting anyone with a flyswat misses 3 goes - no 'accidents' allowed.

(emailed into MES-English by Debbie)

Fri May 25, 2007 9:48 pm
MES-Addict

Post A fly. An ant.
Make a couple of giant flies with 'a' and 'an' written on them.

Play the same game but the teacher calls out a noun and the students must swat the correct fly. eg bear...students swat 'a', ant...students swat 'an'.

Tue May 29, 2007 1:45 pm
MES-Zealot!

yeh the good old fly swats game is one of my favorites!!!

another thing to try (esp the higher levels) is after a few games get the kids to start with their backs to the cards (so they can't see the cards until its called out)

and from time to time shuffle/move the cards around

:smt004

Tue May 29, 2007 5:23 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]