MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
Large Class Games List 
MES-Addict

Post Large Class Games List
I have recently discovered MES and think it is an excellent website for esl teachers, and have been spreading the word. I would like to contribute game and activity ideas that I have found really work in a larger class, and I encourage others to do likewise. My aim in starting this post is to get a collection of activities that work really well in a large class setting (30+ students), and are easily adaptable for different levels. Here is my first entry!! :D

Star Halves
This is a great warmer/review exercise. Make enough large stars for half the class and cut them in half. (Now you have enough cards for the whole class!!) Laminate them so you can reuse them. Write sentences practicing a certain grammar point and cut these in half. Tape half on one side of the star, and the other matching half on the other side of the star. Mix all the star halves and hand one to each student. Students walk around and try to find the matching half. They then report to the teacher and read the sentence.

This can also be used to practice vocabulary by cutting words in half. You could also make a worksheet with 2 columns of phrases. Students match the 2 columns.

Mon May 14, 2007 12:49 pm
MES-Addict

Post Translation Blackboard race
- Write all the vocab randomly on the blackboard, while the other teacher writes the vocab in the student's native tongue.
- Split the class in half and tell students the order in which they will have their turn (usually going up and down the columns of desks)
- Give the two students 5 seconds to come to the blackboard and get the chalk. This keeps it a fast paced game. If they don't make it in time they lose a point.
- English teacher calls out an English word. Students run to board and circle the Japanese translation.
- Japanese teacher calls out a Japanese word and students race to circle the English word.
- Winner puts a tally mark for their team.
- No prep. needed!!

Tue May 15, 2007 10:43 am
MES-Addict

Post Get the Handkerchief
Vocabulary practice or warm-up.

Write the review vocab on the board and have a pair of students rotate their desks to face each other.

Preteach words or check for understanding.

Nominate one word to be the keyword.

Students then put a handkerchief (preferably unused!) in the middle of the table. You start drilling the vocabulary with students repeating you.

When the keyword is called out, students race to get the handkerchief. One point to the student who gets the handkerchief. Minus 1 point if they grab it on the wrong word. Let the students keep count for themselves.

Tue May 29, 2007 11:43 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]