MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
activites for subject pronouns 
MES-Zealot!

Post activites for subject pronouns
Does anyone have any ideas to teach subject pronouns (I, you, he, she, it, we, they) with or without the "be" verb (is, are, am)

I was thinking of using Carolyn Graham's chant (I think the title is Stop Bothering Me ) If anyone has used it, I would love to hear what you did with it.

Are their any other chants, poems, songs, or even visuals that can help students in understanding?

Thu Feb 01, 2007 2:58 pm
MES-Addict

To start with speaking I use empty chairs in the classroom and say there are some famous people sitting there (depends on the group, asking the first about their favourits). First I introduce them like :This is Madonna. Who is she? They usually have no problems with words like singer, footballer etc. so they can concentrate on the introduced language. If I need some "it" objects I use some famous cartoon characters etc.

Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:58 pm
MES-Fanatic!

mark has a worksheet located in introduction worksheets that is good for the he/she pronouns.

Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:13 am
MES-Fanatic!

The very first class I teach them the Pronouns "I" and "you" when I teach introductions. I mean I introduce myself "I am Manuela A."point at the fingers of one hand to show how many words I have uttered. It is difficult for beginners to understand where the borders between words are. Then I show how words are grouped together by getting the two fingers representing I and am together. Then I tell them that they are going to introduce themselves in the same way "I'm" thumb and pointing finger grouped togethere and their name on the middle finger. I also teach"Nice to meet you". Then I go round the class and introduce myself to each student and shake hands while saying "Nice to meet you" and the students reply"Nice to meet you too". The class helps the shy students .
In later classes I introduce "is" and" are" in some context or other. After they are familiar with the use of the pronouns, which I drill a bit every time I see the students, and only then , I may write a list of the pronouns on the board. I sort of find the listing useless. I don't think students can get to use the pronouns by learning them by heart from a list.

Sun Mar 11, 2007 5:50 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]