MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Which games work best for adults? 
MES-Zealot!

Post Which games work best for adults?
Let me put it another way. Adults probably aren't going to be interested in Bingo, as kids are, but they might have fun with an occasional game like Big Town (Mine did). Which games do you use most with your adults. I have an adult/late teens class with whom I want to play more games. They enjoyed Mark's Treasure Island and I am planning to use connect 4 and battleship.. er Bombs away. I also had success with go fish. (Mind you these are beginners)

Could anyone give advice on games that work well with older learners.

Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:35 pm
Profile WWW
MES-Zealot!

actually my low level adult class really like bingo

esp when I use money it always surprises me I didn't think they would

to make it more interesting the 1st across bingo gets say $10 the 2nd across bingo gets $7 the 3rd $6 etc and the same with down and give say $20 for the 1st all finished bingo and say $17 to the 2nd all bingo etc and make sure they count their money in English. Of course kids love this too

recently I have been doing a lot of info gap grip type games (a little similar to battleships)

instead of boats I get the students to write in points (1 to 10 etc)

I use (Japanese) famous people clip art (to make it more relevant to my students) it works well

I often do a couple of games and use money for them all so at the end of the lesson they all have a lot of money to count and makes it much more fun than just a one off game,
ie you can lose one game but still be the rich person for the week/lesson

this seems to work really well (my older adults love this)

Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:55 am
MES-Addict

I agree it all depends on how you do it, yo can always make some changes but I never had problems with bingo for adults. They are usually surprised the first time but never seems to be bored :)

Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:27 pm
MES-Member

Post Boms Away!!
I often use this game with different levels and ages and it always works! Children and teenagers enjoy it just because they like winning, and adults enjoy it because they are able to play a game just as children do, and in English! It's useful with almost any topic ... tenses, vocabulary, structures ...

By the way, I'm new to this site and it's really great. I hope I can help, too .... Greetings to all!!!

Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:58 pm
MES-Fanatic!

(aren't they the females who eat their partners?)

Hi Smy2brazil: Before trying Bingo out the first time, I had my doubts that adults would find it interesting. But, yahoo, they enjoyed it. When you are teaching beginners, it gets them to strain their brains remembering the words without reading (adults tend to read instead of remember, I think).

Secondly, in one of the forums, wish I could remember which, someone gave suggestions about playing a stretched-out form of Bingo, using questions and answers. (I remember she/he? said she put famous people on the middle of the card. The Ss could ask questions like: Does Tom Cruise wear a dress? It is an excellent, and easy idea! It brings a chuckle into the lesson. Maybe someone knows where that thread is?
My adults enjoyed Mark's Big Town (or was it Little Town?). I spread loads of characters on the tables, and in pairs, they could find out as much as possible about each character. It works well at many levels because so many topics are covered.

Once you get four or more games in your bag, you can set up different stations, as a review. One of my adult classes did this to wind up the semesters, and it was a bang. They were quite pleased at how much they could recall.

They also had lots of fun with homemade mazes. I insert the names of the participants into the questions, and I know them well enough to add bits and pieces of their hobbies or "quirks". The questions are just tough enough to make them think and scratch their heads. For example, once I had written "How many chickens sit on your breakfast table?" hoping they would chose answer B: None
Well, I had to change it coz I suddenly remembered one woman actually does have loads of chickens roosting on her tabletop. So, I adjusted it to "how many chickens sit on your breakfast table and sing ballads to you?" Now, if that isn't an easy question! Believe it or not, one woman was stumped. At the end of the maze, there is always a secret question to answer with a number of different possibilities, depending on where you exited the maze. Adults enjoy comparing their routes and discussing the various responses.

You could also try pinning pictures on their backs, and they have to find out as much about themselves as possible. For example, using Mark's flashcard characters, you could pin:
A doctor (job)
From Spain (nationality)
Likes Pizza (favorite food)
Likes fishing (favorite hobby)
It gets them moving around and talking to all the other participants.

Geez, long-winded me again....

Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:50 am
Site Admin

I play all of the same games with adults that I play with children. Children like the games because they are fun. In the end, children learn and that's the point. The games aren't just about the fun. Adults like the games because they are fun AND they are learning. They appreciate the learning value of the games.

Think about it. If you could play Bingo and improve your Portuguese, wouldn't you rather do that?

I don't play the same game in consecutive lessons unless it really went well and I'm adding more compicated language to the game. I think it's important to mix it up or keep it building.

I play Bingo, guessing games, information gathering/memory games, Big Town, Get Four, Treasure Island, a couple games not on the site, Bombs Away, baseball, Say Theirs, Get 'em, the Yes/No game, games for the games forum and anything else.

One warning, some people are turned off by the word game. It may be good to call it something else. I sometimes use 'speaking activity.'
'A rose by any other name would smell as sweet.'

Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:52 am
Profile WWW
MES-Member

My 14 year old students like games so I can use games in their classes but I must say that my younger students like games most :D

Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:51 am
MES-Member

Post games for adults
I agree with Mark, I have used the same games that I use with children with adults, including "run to the board" games.

I have also used games that I can't use with children. For example:
Conditionals: Split the class into 3 groups (or any odd number if you have a lot of students). Give each team 3 points to begin with. Write a conditional sentence on the top of two separate pieces of paper. The team must take the independent clause and make it the dependent clause of a new sentence. For example, if the original sentence is "If I go to an Italian restaurant, I will order lasagna," the students write "If I order lasagna..." and finish the sentence. As soon as they finish the sentence, they pass the paper to the next group. If a group gets both pieces of paper at once, they lose one point. Then you stop the game, write a new sentence and start over. Continue playing until one group has lost all of it's points. This can be adapted to just about any "two-part" sentence.

Ask one student to come to the front and sit with her/his back to the board. Write a sentence on the board. The other students must give her/him clues to figure out the sentences that is written on the board. The other students cannot say any word that is on the board. For example, you write "I eat pizza everyday." A common hint for "I" is "you," "subject," etc.

Board games with questions using the grammar/topic that you are teaching. The students must answer the question using the correct grammar in order to move to that space.

Hope these help.

Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:30 am
MES-Zealot!

Quizzes are good - especially if you get the students to write the questions themselves in teams (then ask other teams).

"Taboo" is another favorite. Team members have to define words without using the obvious terms (for example, define "coffee" without using "drink", "tea", "cafe" or "cup"). Their team-mates try to guess as many as possible in a minute. Then it's the other team's turn, and so on. (You need to obtain/make cards for this).

One more: "Post-It" notes. You write jobs or famous people on Post-It notes. Each student gets one stuck to their forehead (without knowing what's on it). They have to circulate asking other students questions to which the answer can only be yes/no. To keep things fluid, they are only allowed to ask one question at a time to any one student.

Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:11 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]