MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
how young is too young for bingo? 
MES-Fanatic!

Post how young is too young for bingo?
the company i work for has ordered me to do a valentine event lesson aimed at attracting 3-6 year olds.........but they dont have any valentine resources........mes-english to the rescue!! i have used bingo for 5-6 year old kids and they really enjoy it, but i havent been game enough to try it for 3-4 year olds. do other teachers use bingo with 3-4 yo? do 3-4 understand the concept? do they enjoy it?

Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:57 am
MES-Zealot!

I admit I have never tried but I can't see why not!

as long as you keep it simple and at their pace (?)

... easier said than done maybe?

try giving them a stamp or something as a reward?

Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:08 am
Site Admin

I haven't had success with that age group. A few can do it but you lose the masses. They don't really get the point.

If you have mothers in the room to help their child, then maybe. 3-4 is tough for games in general. However, they're usually just happy to be doing something. :mrgreen:

Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:41 pm
Profile WWW
MES-Addict

Maybe puzzles would fit the bill, and you could make the picture English related. For example, if you printed off a page showing the letter A and words & pictures that begin with A, then laminate it with card board backing & cut it up, makes a nice puzzle (but perhaps don't make more than 4-6 pieces for each puzzle since the age group is 3-4 year olds).

Oh! songs are great, too. Not exactly a game, but with hand motions, kids love 'em. (Where is Thumbkin?, I'm a little tea pot, etc.)

Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:07 pm
Post Bingo is ok, just not as a competitive game
In my experience, you can play bingo with 3-4 year olds, just have different expectations. It's not about winning and getting bingo, it's just a matching activity. As the caller, you need to look at everyone's bingo card and make sure that no student goes too long without having one of their items called. A 3 year-old may get very frustrated when everyone around her is finding items on their card but she is not. Make sure everyone is finding items on their card regularly, and try to pace it so everyone gets Bingo at almost the same time. (When we fill our cards, I encourage the younger ones to stand up and say, "Bingo", but it's just a fun thing to say...I don't think they feel it means they "won". The kids who get Bingo second or third are just as excited to fill their card as the first kid was)

If you are making the bingo cards, for younger learners try giving everyone almost all the same items on their cards, just in different orders. That will make sure everyone is staying involved and nobody feels left out.

And I wouldn't recommend playing by row...most younger kids won't catch on to that. Everyone should have to find every item on their card (limit the card to 8 or 9 items, so the game doesn't go on too long).

If Moms are in the classroom, it's fun for them to play together. If you have a mixed age group with some older kids (5-6) in with the younger kids (3-4), try having the older kids help the younger ones or have the kids share a Bingo card.

Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:08 pm
MES-Member

I agree with DevonT. They really enjoy it, they just don't get the win/lose thing. But they are very capable of matching the picture with the spoken word. Just make sure that the cards are big and coloful. It is hard for them to put things onto small squares and the more colorful it is the more it will draw their attention and keep them quiet!

Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:23 am
MES-Fanatic!

I agree with DevonT, I use a similar strategy. I'm really surprised that most of you didn't have any success playing bingo with 3-year-olds. From my experience you can play it with any age group starting from the age of 2 (!). The point is to make the game much simpler. I start with only 3-4 pictures on one board, all the same for every child (just at the beginning, then you can differentiate pictures and give more of them), preferably in a mixed order. Instead of small chips (dangerous for this age group, could be swallowed) i use laminated colourful cards or the same pictures as the ones on the board. They just cover the pictures and when they have completed the board we all shout BINGO! They love it, hehe. The activity is quite short and it's not about winning but it's fun. With 4-year-olds i've succeeded to work on a 4x4 bingo card. They are to get 4 chips in a row, column or diagonally.

Wed Jun 13, 2007 6:02 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]