MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
Teaching adults and children together 
MES-Member

Hi everyone, I'm new comer in this forum, and a new teacher, too. Please help me to have my students, who are adults and children in the same class, to join with each others. Some of them don't want to do anything in class. What should I do?Thanks a lot

Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:36 pm
MES-Zealot!

Welcome to the forum! What level are your students and how old are the children? Also are they all familiar with the roman alphabet?
Having adults and children in the same class can be very difficult, but games can have universal appeal. The games on this site should work with a wide age range and you can give your adult students a handicap or group them all together so they can help each other out.

Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:45 pm
MES-Addict

I used to have a mixed class like that (and I didn't much like it...). Usually the parents would sit back and let the kids do everything, not getting involved, but here are a few of the activities that worked.

We had a paper airplane race, talking about how to make the airplanes, who had what color, etc., and giving them names, then taking them outside, talking about whose plane went the farthest, etc. Another activity that worked well was origami- each class member taught the others how to make something, from simple to complex, using as much English as they could. We played a game similar to "Guess Who", which was fun since most everyone had the language ability for it. We split into groups based on level and played board games geared toward that level. We played card matching games- the adults and older children had to make sentences with the cards, middle kids named the cards, and the little ones could just search for pictures that matched if the card vocab was above their level.

That's about all I can think of at the moment. I hope it helps!

Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:37 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]