MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
Classroom routine / lesson segments 
MES-Zealot!

Post Classroom routine / lesson segments
I just listened to the podcast from eslteachertalk.com about time saving tips for lesson planning. Good stuff, I recommend it to anyone who has to make their own lesson plans.

Anyhow, one of the major components to preparing lesson plans more quickly is to have a pattern or routine to the class. Then you just plug your lesson elements into the appropriate block.

Mark and Eric mentioned Total Physical Response time, Game time, Lecture time, Reading time, etc.

I am wondering if you teachers wouldn't mind posting your classroom routines, if you have one.

I'll wait for a response or two then post some of mine.

Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:01 pm
Profile WWW
MES-Zealot!

Hi there Steve! Great idea for a discussion topic!

I usually start a lesson by discussing what the students did on the weekend, or in the time since we last met. Then I check the writing of their journals, which I want them to do daily. I don't expect huge essays, but want them to write short dairy entries.

Then we have a bingo game and spelling quiz to review last week's vocab.

Next, we use the textbook which comes with an audio tape. We do that until it seems like enough!! If I notice that the kids are really tired or bored, I break it up with other activities, games, TPR etc. Then we may get stuck back into the textbook.

Usually I then do some talking about Australia, and the differences between my country and theirs (Japan), Oz history, geography etc.

We usually end the day by playing some fun games.

This may seem like a lot, but currently I am teaching the same 6 students for 5 1/2 hours per day, so it's a long time. And we get thru' a heap of material. They're learning so much!!

I'm interested to see what other people write!!

Sun Jan 21, 2007 8:34 am
MES-Addict

Here's how most every lesson of mine goes- they're 45 minutes, once a week.

The classroom assistants (they change from week to week) have a start of class routine they do- good morning, let's stretch, let's sing this month's song, saying the day and date. The kids do this themselves with prompts from me if necessary.

Sometimes, we play a quick warm-up game. Then the new language, if it's new, or a review if it isn't.

Then we play a game using the target language, or sometimes two.

We clean up, and do a quick assessment of how the class went- did you listen? Did you try to speak?

Last, the class assistants have a short goodbye routine, and we go.

I usually arrange my classes into three or four week units. For example, this week we learned several pairs of adjective opposites. This weeks game focussed on remembering the words only, and understanding the meaning of each word. Next week's lesson will focus on short sentances- Are you strong? etc.- and the week after will be a game using clues to guess an object. When we finish the unit, the kids will write down an example sentance in their English passport. I just started planning this way this year, and I find that planning in units makes it easier on me, and a little more seems to stick in the kids' brains.

Thanks for posting this topic, it's really interesting!

Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:56 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]