MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Silent letters 
MES-Member

Post Silent letters
Hi, I'm new to this site. I'm teaching my class silent letters at the moment and I'm stuck for exercises. Does anyone have any good sites where I can find worksheets or reading materials for silent letters?

Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:44 am
MES-Member

hi..maybe you can try out www.bbc.co.uk it may help

Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:02 am
MES-Zealot!

When I was teaching silent letters to young kids, and I'm assuming that your students are young too, I'd only introduce each silent letter one week at a time, definitely not all at once. I'd start with 'E' and use examples such as make, take, bite, bike, more, give, have, and I made sure that they already knew of these words and what they mean. Next I'd look at words ending in a silent B: lamb, comb, etc. Then silent K such as in knife, knot etc. I used phonics cards I taught it in a very matter of fact way. I didn't dwell on why English has so many silent letters, because that would be a waste of time. I made it fun by playing bingo, karuta (slap game) and other games. Having fun is they key! I'd say "Where is Mr Silent B?!?" "Who's at the end of this word? Yes, it's Mr silent E!" and goofy stuff like that. It made the kids relax, laugh and helped them remember it.

I never used many worksheets but you could check out http://www.usingenglish.com/handouts/72.html for some quizes.

If you can get your hands on this book "Puzzle Time for Flyers"
Author: Jon Marks - it has some great ideas for games and has a section on silent letters, as well as many other fun activities.

There's also a song if you're into singing songs in class!! Have a look at http://www.songsforteaching.com/jennyfi ... etters.htm

I hope I've managed to answer your question, and that I haven't overloaded you with info!
All the best.

Thu Feb 08, 2007 5:55 pm
MES-Zealot!

Having fun is they key! I'd say "Where is Mr Silent B?!?" "Who's at the end of this word? Yes, it's Mr silent E!" and goofy stuff like that. It made the kids relax, laugh and helped them remember it.

thats good

I often make the motion of taking the letter (acting it out) off the whiteboard and throwing it up and kicking it away (out the door etc)..... while saying somthing like we don't say this letter (words according to level)
..... but I might use eikaiwa no sensei's idea of Mr Silent B etc

Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:23 am
MES-Zealot!

I just found this worksheet to download, hope it helps

http://www.macmillanenglish.com/uploade ... ilder1.pdf

Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:57 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]