MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
teaching primary students 
MES-Member

Post teaching primary students
how do we really teach oral english if the children can at least read but they just love to listen to the teacher? any suggestions to let them speak? any games too or activities? thanks.

Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:35 pm
Profile YIM
Site Admin

Do you mean they won't speak or that they don't have the opportunity to speak?

Also, how big are your classes?

All of the games for download from this site are designed for practicing oral English. www.mes-english.com/games.php Also, some of the games in my favorite games sections are also mainly speaking activities www.mes-english.com/games/gamestoplay.php check out Othello and Say Theirs.

If you can give us a little more information about the classes, we might be able to give you better directed advice.

Good luck with your groups!

Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:51 pm
Profile WWW
MES-Member

they speak in their native language. they're just used to listening to their teacher who is of same nationality as them and they read their books and translate them.
30 per class.

Tue Jan 09, 2007 2:51 pm
Profile YIM
Site Admin

That sounds like a tougher situation than I previously thought. It sounds like you are team teaching or teaching a class that's taught primarily by another teacher. Is that right?

In that case, you need to re-educate students as to what English class or your English class is supposed to be. You have to get the support from the other teacher. That means the other teacher should participate or help out with the activity explanation and you need to be extra peppy. If you can't sell it, they won't buy it. Basically don't expect them to break out of their shells and start speaking because you say they should. But trust me, they want to have fun.

I generally start with simple and fun activities. If you can get them to have fun, you should be able to get them to speak. I make sure the English is easy and secondary to our task of actually getting kids involved and eventually speaking. These types of activities can be TPR, where they are just listening and you can control the language and level. Another option is racing games or Slap (another receptive English game.)

Use a game/activity with simple rules or simplify the rules down to the bare minimum need to play the game. Once they understand how to play you can build up the rules and introduce lengthy langauge tasks.

Where are you teaching and what are some things you've recently taught? Also, what are some up coming units or target language?

Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:41 pm
Profile WWW
MES-Member

thanks for the reply. china is my workplace right now.

Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:02 pm
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]