MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
order of vocab topics 
MES-Member

Post order of vocab topics
Mark
I'm trying to create a K-6 Spanish program from scratch, and I've used several of your flashcard sets already. However, I was wondering if you had posted anywhere some suggestions for an order in which you cover the vocabulary you use?
If you have, I'd love to know about it.
Meanwhile, keep up the good work!
Lechelle

Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:54 pm
MES-Zealot!

You have your work set out for you. What you need to do is make a course outline. (This is hard.) You could look at a few English course books and their "Scope and sequence" Many course books available for sale online have their contents pages or course outline avaible for evaluation. You can look at those for ideas.

I usually decide what grammar I want to teach in a given semester and then choose a vocabulary set that fits the grammar. Usually you can tie the two together through a social situation or life situation.

good luck.

Steve

Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:16 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Well, what I did was set up units by grammar point or target language. I sat down and looked at what kids want to say, actually say in L1 and at what they need to be able to answer and say. Each unit was made to build on the prior or previous units to some extent. I drew out a 20 unit plan. Each unit contains 5 vocabulary sets and 3 pieces of language, two tied to the vocabulary and one extra. Then I went back in and made vocabulary sets that I could use to teach each of those sections. So, actually the vocabulary is tied to the language. That bit of info is often what you see in the 'Mark's notes' sections of the flashcards.

I have all of that writtten out on 4 pieces of loose paper in notebook. It has been rewritten, written over, things crossed out and things added in. Basically, it's a work in progress. Especially since I'm seeing the need to fill it in more and expand it for students that continue on with me.

I have separate pieces of paper for phonics, reading and TPR.

I'm also reluctant to give that bit of information away. I have a few places right around me where other teachers are using my materials. Some of my private students come in and say, 'Hey, our English teacher was using your cards.' I'm not sure, as it is, if I'm biting myself in the foot. But, how I see it is, I'm just providing the raw materials. It's what you do and how you do it that makes the whole package work. If I give that away, then I'm afraid I will be biting myself in the foot.

I just don't want new students to come here and say, 'This guy is just doing the same thing our teacher at school is doing.' :shock:

However, if I can get something ironed out, which I need to do anyway, because my papers aren't making much sense to me anymore either, I'll let you know through PM or email. You're not teaching in the next town over, are you?

Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:16 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]