MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Changing jobs and age range....Help! 
MES-Addict

Post Changing jobs and age range....Help!
I've just accepted a new position for next year at a Foreign Language High School. It's exactly the kind of job I wanted as I wanted to move into teaching higher level learners, but..... I've been teaching kindergarten (and only kindergarten) for the last 6 months and so feel like I have been hiding in my storybooks and children's songs.
So, I'd love any advice on what I am likely to find the most difficult in making the transition from pre-school to high school.

:P

jen

Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:47 pm
Site Admin

Well... I can tell you what I think is the most difficult.

HS students can learn and remember a lot more and in a shorter time than kindergarten students. The bad part is they don't want to practice speaking and since they 'understand' the language, they want to move on. (quite different from teaching kindergarten.)

To battle that aspect, I generally try to supply new vocabulary to any unit or area that I want to review or practice further.

Also, depending on where you are teaching (Korea?) they may have been brought up in a system that makes them rely on translation. They won't try to understand, but will be waiting for translation and the information they need to memorize (again, quite different from teaching kindergarten.)

They still want to have fun and they can be great classes. You can play more complex thinking games and still have a good time. I use the games in my games section with the JHS and HS students. They go over well.

Good luck!

Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:15 am
Profile WWW
MES-Zealot!

HS students can learn and remember a lot more and in a shorter time than kindergarten students. The bad part is they don't want to practice speaking and since they 'understand' the language, they want to move on. (quite different from teaching kindergarten.)

yes I would 2nd that

and don't try to sing songs (in my experience anyway) unless they are unusually genki

I would try to study a bit of grammar but don't go over board. At least try to keep ahead of the class (as the grammar coming up)
there is nothing worse than being asked a question and you are not sure (in front of the class)

I would recommend Practical English Usage by Michael Swan as a good grammar book to read in your spare time etc

Try to keep it fun but don't be surprised when they don't respond like the kindergarten kids, they are the easiest to teach in my opinion

Good Luck!

Fri Dec 22, 2006 3:47 pm
MES-Addict

What I find funny whit this age group is that they are creative and dare think for themselves (I don't know how bold are they where you teach as it may vary a lot from country to country ) so can be a great source of ideas.
They look more at what the others think than if the teacher is happy about what they do which is the other way with kindergarten. That can make it more difficult to make them perform so I would suggest to try more pair or small group work.

Sat Dec 30, 2006 6:31 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]