MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
crash course for junior high 
MES-Zealot!

Post crash course for junior high
Next month, I have to teach a class of 17 Junior High kids from freezing Sapporo, Japan coming to boiling hot Australia for 10 days for the purpose of improving their English! What a task!!

I will take them for ESL lessons each morning for 4 hours, followed by excursions (city orientation, a sporting activity, school visits etc) in the afternoons.

These are my ideas so far.... Lesson 1 ~ self-intros, and a few games to assess their level, and ??! Other lesson ideas could include intro to Aus money, shopping, and banking (changing travellers cheques etc).

Apart from this I am at a loss as to what to do with these guys! And I really don't know how much English they can learn in such a short period of time.

Does anyone have any suggestions about what I should teach them?? Please!!

Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:27 am
Site Admin

Right on! 4 hours a day with high school kids! What could be worse, I mean better!

No, it should be fun. Most of the students who head over to Australia are pretty motivated and interested in English. I get to stay here with the others :|

I would break each day up into 3 segments
60 min. grammar/structure/vocabulary building activities based around spoken English
90 min. structured speaking activities - role plays, dialogues, cultural orientation
90 min. listening + free talking activities - Show them a recording of some TV show, then ask questions, students create dialogues, discuss Aussie items, talk about themselves, talk about the previous listening exercises ...

It's a lot easier for me to plan 3 classes than one 4 hour lesson. In this way you are practicing three of the four areas but you could throw writing in there. However, that's probably not what they want.

Over a week, each of those areas will be building with the last day or two set up for review. I wouldn't expect great progress in 10 days but kids will surprise you. They have really solid grammar and a large vocabulary. They just can't use it. If you stay the way of 'spoken' English, whatever you teach them will be helpful.

Good luck!

Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:11 pm
Profile WWW
MES-Addict

You could also include some kind of activity to encourage them to interact with native speakers. I'm always getting stopped when out and about by Korean students who "have to ask a foreign person some questions for homework".
It doesn't have to be so formulaic though.. maybe set them some kind of team challenge where they have to accomplish certain speaking tasks ~ asking the time; for directions; where the library is etc . If they have cell phones or cameras with a movie function get them to record the conversations as evidence. You can then prep them with the relevant vocabulary and structure as part of your lesson plans.

Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:36 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]