MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Recommended Reading: Teacher Development 
MES-Member

Post Recommended Reading: Teacher Development
I thought I would run a thread by here to see what people recommend for teacher development. What books have influenced you in the way you teach?

My top picks are:
Penny Ur's Books. She has several titles. And I don't mean the one where she is series editor. I mean the ones she actually wrote.

The Teaching Manuel from English Firsthand. That book is packed with great classroom ideas.

A friend of mine recommends (and I second it), Conversation Strategies by Kehe and Kehe as well as their other book Discussion Strategies.

What books do others recommend, not necessarily for use with students, but for their own development as a teacher.

Sun Mar 12, 2006 2:56 am
Site Admin

I have read through a few books and haven't been impressed with anything enough to write them down here. I have tried my luck and bought activity books, phonics books and printables collections, all to be rather disappointed with the teaching advice that accompanies them.

However, they have all provided background and I wouldn't say I wasted my money in all cases. I've flipped through some books in English Research rooms as well. I generally come away with a lot of half ideas and then have to work out the rest to suit me or what I want to teach.

I've been sold on the Kehe - Kehe book and have ordered it. I'm looking forward to going through it.

I've found the internet to be a pretty useful resource for ideas. They can be hard to find at times and most people won't give them away for free but there are some great ideas out there.

Last edited by mesmark on Mon Mar 13, 2006 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Mar 12, 2006 9:47 pm
Profile WWW
MES-Member

Quote:
I generally come away with a lot of half ideas and then have to work out the rest to suit me or what I want to teach.

There are some excellent ideas in those books, but you will probably have to do some work to suit them to your classes. As I say, this thread is about teacher development, not necessarily things you can take straight to the classroom. I don't use those books directly in the classroom so much anymore. I love them because they gave me good ideas on how to make my own classes.

Mon Mar 13, 2006 3:09 am
Site Admin

I have a book called Teaching Practice Handbook which I read long ago for help with lesson planning and gaining some focus back when I first decided to take a teaching position. It's not more than a good TEFL course but might be useful to teachers just starting out.

I also got my hands on a book called Teaching English Japan. It has advice on teaching in Japan, but the best part is it goes over some cultural differences and gives teachers ideas about what to expect. It's a pretty good book for those just starting out in Japan or thinking about teaching here.

The best books I've read for my own teacher development have been parenting books. They have really helped with classroom management, patience and discipline issues I've faced. 2 of my favorites are:
Bringing Up Boys and Kids Are Worth It
I highly recomend these to anyone teaching children (you don't need to be a parent.) They are great for creating positive environments and dealing with potential problems before they become real problems.

Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:58 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Here's a good site web site Dr. Theodore Panitz on Cooperative Learning
http://home.capecod.net/~tpanitz/

There are several articles and they may serve as some useful background material.

Here's a great site with short essays:
Learning a language without even trying
Making use of the resources you already have
and the link to the main site: http://home.bluemarble.net/~langmin/

I haven't read too many yet but the two above were enough to make me want toi go back and look through some more.

Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:08 pm
Profile WWW
MES-Member

Great book ideas! I've been looking for some texts on helping me to better get a grasp on how to teach the little ones. I have some experience with adults, however, I am going to Honduras in January to teach 1st/2nd grade in a bilingual school.

Any other suggestions?

Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:29 pm
MES-Zealot!

My favorite books are in no particular order

How to Talk So Kids Will Listen & Listen So Kids Will Talk
(parenting)

Tools for Teaching (Fred Jones)
(class management)

How the Brain Learns
David Sousa

For the little ones especially I recommend James Asher's

Learning Another Language through Actions
It s a great book on TPR which can be used with students of all ages but almost invaluable with the little ones!

Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:21 pm
MES-Addict

The Learning Revolution Dryden and Vos. It's about learning nit neccesairly language but easy to read and can give some more ideas.

Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:47 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]