MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
students checking out? 
MES-Addict

Post students checking out?
Greetings everyone, It has been awhile. I think the last time I was here I was teaching English in South Korea. Since then I have returned to the USA to pursue a Med degree in Instructional Design, I taught for a year in an Elementary school in California, and now I am teaching in Japan. Sounds like I have itchy feet?

I come to you all with a question that has been bugging me lately. I know it is common for kids to mentally check out as the end of the school year approaches. My question is, does this occur more often and quicker to kids as they get older and progress into higher grades? I wonder if there is a correlation between the age of a student and how soon the student mentally checks out. The reason for this curiosity is related to my efforts to improve my skills as an educator of TCK students (third culture kids). If anyone wants to help me the questions you could answer that would best help me are:

1 - What are the age groups and nationality/mixed nationality of kids do you teach?
2 - Do they mentally check out as they approach the end of a school year?
3 - If they do mentally check out, approximately how many months/days away from the last day of school do you see the telltale signs?
4 - If you are feeling very generous, any descriptions of the telltale signs they show would be greatly appreciated.

Note - I think I should define what I mean by "mentally check out". When a student mentally checks out the student demonstrates a change in academic behavior towards the end of the school year that is uncharacteristic to how that student previously acted throughout the entire school year. Students that do not qualify as mentally checking out according to this definition are students that never mentally checked in in the first place. The issues of these students are important to address, however, do not apply to the questions I proposed above.

Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:25 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]