MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
Two-way immersion program 
MES-Member

Post Two-way immersion program
Does anyone teach in a Two-way immersion program (aka dual language)? I have done a lot of research on the topic and am interested in finding out more first hand from classroom teachers what they think of it. I work in a school district that will probably move to a TWI program in the near future. Or if you know of any great research on the topic let me know.
:smt004
Vmorey

Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:29 am
MES-Fanatic!

Sorry, but what exactly is a 2-way immersion program? and what is a TW1 program? Sounds intriguing.

Thu Nov 23, 2006 7:35 am
MES-Member

Post TWI program
A TWI (two way immersion progam) is a program where 50% of the students are native speakers of the dominant language and 50% of the students are native speakers of the minority language. So for example in the US a typical TWI program would be English (dominant language) and Spanish (minority language). The idea is to teach both populations a second language and create a truely bilingual society. Research has proven this is the most effective way to teach a second language over bilingual programs and ESL programs. The program would have to begin in kindergarten and run through 4-5th grade. This way the kids are introduced to both languages and literacies from an early age.

Wed Dec 06, 2006 2:04 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]