MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
How to Teach Student That Cannot Read Yet 
MES-Member

Post How to Teach Student That Cannot Read Yet
I'm teaching English for preschool, kindergarten and elementary school student. Some of them cannot read yet. What should I do to them? Should I make a special class? For your information, now I mix them in a class contains readable students.

Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:17 am
Site Admin

Post Re: How to Teach Student That Cannot Read Yet
MES is in a large part designed for students that cannot read yet. So, you might be in the right place. :D

I teach all students via the flashcards and games on this site without reading at all. We practice the words via drilling and some (fun) activities. Then, we play some sort of game with the cards to either use the vocabulary in a target sentence or just to practice and solidify the words.

The best option might be to separate the classes, but that isn't always an option for any number of reasons.

With your mixed class, I think you can keep them together if that's the best option for organization. You just need to train the students to do separate tasks at the same time. In the first few lessons it will be hard, but once the students understand what it is they are supposed to do, then they'll be able to do it with less instruction from you.

I think it is important to have some standard format, worksheets, or activity that you will use. So maybe the class starts off with everyone together practicing last week's language task/vocabulary. Then you introduce some new vocabulary. Older students then work on a spelling or reading practice sheet. Once they have done this before, they'll hopefully get to it right away. While they do that you can get the younger students started on a game or activity. Once they get used to this activity, they'll be able to do it with less guidance from you. Then, you can go back to the older kids and maybe teach a grammar point, practice a bit and get them started on a worksheet. At the end of the lesson, you could come back together as a big group for some final speaking game.

As the students get used to the format, you can begin to add more games and worksheet formats, again slowly. Both groups will need less and less guidance from you as to what to do and so you can spend more time with one group on how to complete a certain worksheet or on how to play a new game.

However, again, I want to reiterate that the first few lessons will probably be rough and you might not get that much done, but once they're used to the style it should be OK.

I hope that helps.

Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:00 pm
Profile WWW
MES-Addict

Post Re: How to Teach Student That Cannot Read Yet
I use flashcards all the time. I have many flashcard sets ranging from colors and shapes to food, animals, and clothing and body parts. Only a few card sets even have words on them. Sometimes I add the words as a back side of the card for those older kids who need preacice reading the words.

Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:56 pm
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]