MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
group games 
MES-Member

Post group games
I have been encouraged by other eikawa teachers at my school to do group games where competition rules.

I have found that it produces a lot of "dead" time though. For example, if Ithe class is in 10 groups of 4, I can either go around the class systematically, asking a Q to each group - if they are right they get points, if not it goes to the rest of the class as a bonus chance. However the rest of students don't listen when it is not their turn.

So I tried doing it the "first hands up" way, and then I get abused by half the class because I didn't choose their group and clearly they were first. Then they stop paying attention because they weren't chosen.

Ideas? Are these group games really worth it?
________
Ferrari 195 inter history

Last edited by jeshika on Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Nov 10, 2006 4:34 pm
MES-Member

You have obviously realised that you have to play games that engage the whole class. Games like bingo, where each student interacts at every stage in the game are much better. You won`t be giving the students much oral practice, but it is impossible to do much of that through games in a class of that size. The "ESL Techer`s Activities Kit" by Elizabeth Claire (isbn #0130804789) has some other games that would be suitable for large classes like yours.

If you want to give your students oral practice, then try doing songs and jazz chants. You can make a jazz chant from anything. On the first day of my last immersion kindergarten class (complete beginners mostly without a minute of English instruction) I started a verb chant where I would chant and act out the verb in all tenses (and in rhythm) and the students would do the same and repeat. For example I would call "running, running, run, run, run, ran" and the students would then repeat. Younger students respond best to the actions but even older students will get something out of a similar activity that is structured to meet their needs. The trick is to find a rhythm that fits the language that you are teaching.

Good luck,
damon

Fri Nov 10, 2006 6:24 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]