MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
Teaching young students with limited resources? 
MES-Member

Post Teaching young students with limited resources?
I am teaching at a kindergarten in China, where the students range from age 4-6. I havent taken head counts but it seems like at least 15-20 students per class. Some classrooms don't have internet, at least one doesnt have sound for its computer. I don't have a printer, and I was told by a teacher that the one in the school is not for me. I was not shown all the classrooms and what resources were in them before I started teaching. Despite all this they want me to provide a fun environment. I used all these things when I taught in Korea, so I am a bit loss. Also each week has a topic. Next week I need to teach 4 year olds the names of just two pieces of furniture, and how to say "its my something". How could I possibly make that interesting? The younger students seem to have a very low English level now.

I think I can make this work but I am used to working with older students and really need help. Most of the classes are just 30 minutes, once a week, but the kgh (higher level and older) meets twice a week. So I actually need to make four lesson plans a week, but due to the circumstance, and it being my first time teach ESL to kindergarteners this seems like the most challenging teaching job I have ever had. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Your help is greatly appreciated, God Bless you and yours,

Kenneth

Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:38 pm
MES-Member

Post Re: Teaching young students with limited resources?
Kenneth,
The key with this age group is action and imagination I would say.

Just off the top of my head - if I had to teach furniture to 4 year-olds I would probably use pantomime. Get them up and walking in place with you, open an imaginary door, look inside and name what you see and then pantomime using it. Kids that age love miming. Try and come up with a story ("Goldilocks" or an adaption of it comes to mind) to go along with it or an action game. Don't know what kind of space you have but you could have the bed in one place and the chair and a table in another and have the kids go run to the bed (and pretend to sleep) and then run to the chair (pretend to sit and read maybe), run to the table (pretend to eat) or something.

Just for the record, I've never had a computer in my classes, nor have I missed it. I do sometimes use a CD player, storybooks and flashcards and other props at times. My kids love my puppet, "Bob", who only speaks English and is rather naughty. For my part I sometimes have a hard time coming up with new ideas for Bob but the kids love him and he can be very useful. "Bob" is a washcloth, by the way. You can also just use a sock and put a face on it. Honestly, the kids will be delighted if it talks and teases you.

Kids this age really also go for action songs and stories too. You can find a lot of simple and versatile ideas on various threads - right now there is one at the top of the Games and Activities section about teaching kindergarteners. Check it out.

Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:41 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]