MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
help! some new ideas 
MES-Member

Post help! some new ideas
:? Hello, this is my first posting. Im a novice at teaching, im english and live now in spain, Im not a trained teacher, but by the power of persuasion,iv'e been asked to do after school activities in english for 5-8 year olds, at the local school. It;s been going ok and the kids are enjoying it. but im needing some fresh ideas for games in which they learn very easy words And how i should present my 1 hour class im not sure how to plan the time so they dont get bored hope you can help .Thanks :P

Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:34 pm
Site Admin

Don't worry about fresh ideas if the kids are enjoying the class. Children love to do the same games over and over and over and one more time. I know it's boring for you (I play so many games a ridiculous amount of times a week,) but just keep shuffling in new content and play on.

Good games always help though. Some of my best original games are posted here www.mes-english.com/games/gamestoplay.php and with the help of the forum members, there are more games than you can possibly play in the games forum http://www.mes-english.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=3

If you can tell us what you plan to teach in the next few lessons, it's easier to give you advice for good games. Sometimes some games are better than others depending on what you want to teach.

Happy teaching,
Mark

Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:08 pm
Profile WWW
MES-Member

I work with first graders and they love any games that you can come up with. I just posted a response to someones question about using flash cards. You can use flash cards with pictures on one set and words on another set and have the kids play memory match, go fish, Bingo is always a fun game. When I play Bingo, sometimes instead of giving the word out-right like table, I will describe the word so that the students are getting a good description of what the thing is. I have found that kids this age lack the vocabulary and understanding to describe things. This is an easy way to get them using more and more vocabulary. Also, I don't know if you like to sing but kids at this age love to sing and making up silly songs is always fun to teach concepts. Check the internet you should be able to find made up songs to familira tunes.
Have fun with the kids!!!!
VMorey

Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:01 am
MES-Addict

I'm sure you will do it fine and you'll have a great time.
In what part of Spain are you? I'm working in the north of Madrid.

Good luck and have fun!

Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:46 am
MES-Member

you need to plan your lesson into rousing activities and calming activities. I usually start with a revision of new words for about 10 minutes then do a rousing activity like action songs which might be relevant to the vocabulary-If you're happy and you know it, Head and Shoulders Knees and Toes etc.., then a calming activity such as a story or a quiet game and then another bout of rousing activity in the form of action songs or action games and then they get a worksheet or a craft. You plan this according to the time they will need to complete it. A craft needs about half an hour whereas a colouring sheet would need only ten minutes and they finish it at home.

Some fun action games are crocodile crocodile, may we cross your river?
and What Time is it Mr. Wolf?, five little monkeys sitting on a tree, Mother Mother may I come? What can you do Ponchonello funny fellow?

An excellent action story is Going on a Bear Hunt By Helen Oxenbury and The Mitten by Jan Brett who also has crafts and colouring pages on her website.
Twister is good action game to practice colours and body parts and the verb to put.

Good luck!

Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:03 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]